1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

this is incredible

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cfreyman, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cfreyman

cfreyman Thread Starter

Ok im stumped...

We are trying to add a windows 2000 server to our nt domain. We keep getting denied when we log on to the domain though. here is the error: "The system cannot log you on to this domain because the systems computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account is incorrect"

We can only log in locally using the local Admin account. But, this is the strange part....once we are logged on locally, we can see ALL the other computers in Network Neighborhood. We can even ping our gateway AND the other side of the domain (the computer is definetely getting an IP address from our DHCP server)...and the computer is also registered in DHCP and has recorded WINS entries....we have also set up a account in server manager as well. One more thing, we can see the computer on other machines but cannot access any shares that are set up.

I understand if i have completely dumbfounded anyone who looks at this, so are we... HELP PLEASE!

2. Rikku

Rikku

ok, I'm not even going to attempt to explain this one, however I can tell you where to start.

Do you have any other win2k servers in your domain? Or just NT 4?

I know from experience that when you introduce a win2k server into a domain with an existing NT4 PDC that all sorts of funny things can happen. I'm sorry if I can't be more specific than that. I even remember having this exact same problem myself.

I was setting up a new w2k server and I couldn't log into the prexisting domain...

I just can't remember what I did to fix it...

If i remember, I'll come back and tell ya! :)

3. cfreyman

cfreyman Thread Starter

yeah this is the first win2K server we have.... i cant even find any useful documentation on this either so if you could remember that would be great!

4. Rockn

Rockn

Did you set it up as a domain controller or a standalone server?

5. cfreyman

cfreyman Thread Starter

its a standalone server...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice