1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

This is odd (and irritating). {drive not seen}

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Iamme, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Iamme

Iamme Thread Starter

I'm running WinXP Home edition with SP2 on an Asus P4P800 SE with an Intel P4 3.2 MHz CPU. My main drive C is a Seagate Cheetah SCSI. I want to clone the C drive to another SCSI which is exactly the same as the C drive so that if the C drive gives out I can just swap the drives over.

Here's the odd thing. The new SCSI drive spins up OK. The SCSI configuration utility sees the drive (to make sure I did a low level format on it) and so does the BIOS. However, when I boot into the OS, WinXP's "Disk Management" utility doesn't see the additional drive. I've turned everything off, unplugged the power and checked all the cables. When I run the "Rescan Disks" utility the LED lights up on the new drive but it still doesn't show up in WinXP. Any help and advice please?

2. Et Al

Et Al

Just a thought-

I had bought an external drive and my Windows 2000 could not see it! So I took it back. They attached it to a computer running XP, which did see the device, but also showed that it had not been formatted (which is why my Windows 2000 could not see it). So they formatted my drive. Once that was done, it ran just fine.

Did you format the new drive first before cloning it?

3. Et Al

Et Al

Please forgive my foolish question. Just read your post again.

:eek:

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you set the terminate jumper on the last drive in the scsi chain?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW when you clone the drive, Do not partition or format the new disk; just install like it comes out of the box.

6. Iamme

Iamme Thread Starter

Actually that's not such a foolish question. The drives are low level formatted out of the box and I did it again to make sure the SCSI configuration utility was seeing but if I could find a way of formatting it to NTSF or FAT 32 I think WinXP might then see it. But how can WinXP format something it can't see?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want to clone a drive, you DO NOT partition or format it.

8. Iamme

Iamme Thread Starter

The SCSI cable has a termination block at the end. Is that what you mean? Presumably the SCSI configuration and the BIOS wouldn't see it if the IDs were correct? Ditto if the cable wasn't terminated?

9. Iamme

Iamme Thread Starter

You mean as opposed to the low level format a new drive comes with? If one doesn't conventionally format a drive to which one is going to clone may I ask why? Not saying you are wrong - just want to know why.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice