1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

This is probably kid stuff for you folks

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by EagleClaw92, Sep 13, 2017 at 12:26 AM.

Advertisement
  1. EagleClaw92

EagleClaw92 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6041 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 915 GB (759 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gateway, DX4860
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

WANTED PEOPLE TO KNOW THAT TO MAKE THIS A MUCH SHORTER QUESTION - YOU CAN IGNORE EVERYTHING UNTIL THE RED PRINT - DON'T KNOW WHY I INCLUDED THE STUFF BEFORE THAT - PLEASE CHECK IT OUT - THANKS.

Hi - I just moved from a place in Marietta, GA to a place in Sandy Springs, GA.
    I had Outlook Express till it wasn't supported anymore by Microsoft. Then I used the Comcast E-mail program for a few years. By the way - I gradually came to believe Comcast, which also was hooked up to my T.V. too, charged way too much & their customer service was awful.

Also, I'm still a computer novice although I've improved a bit. Where I live now my computer was hooked up the default way (326 condo's here) which was EarthLink I believe (I wasn't here when their IT guy did it). And when I tried to use it, a box said it wasn't hooked up. So I got the IT guy back, it was the same, although he said it did work after he set it up.

Then he checked some stuff & said it was that the Wi-Fi card in my computer was getting such a weak connection, that is what happened. I know what Wi-Fi is but I've only had an inexpensive desktop computer and I didn't even know a w-fi card was in there....I've never used Wi-Fi & I don't have a smart phone, etc.
    I ended up with the some Wi-Fi thing he put on top of the computer (was a NETGEAR a-6200 Wi-Fi USB adapter.) It solved the problem...and Wow...I didn't even need to get into this long preface!

So although I don't have Comcast for anything anymore, when I went to the site where the E-mail program was - it said although I dumped them, I could still use their E-mail as long as I clicked on a button that said I would accept their terms and conditions which is where the fine print as I'm sure u know means that I'm saying O.K. to whatever they feel like doing.

So - I need to know the easiest and safest E-mail program ( 1 of them anyway) I can download and start using because I'm way behind in sending some important E-mails to some folks (Oh yea, I know they have free ones and I would prefer that). PLEASE REMEMBER I'M SURE I WOULD STILL BE CONSIDERED A NOVICE.

So as Denzel Washington used to say in the movie "Philadelphia", explain this to me like I'm a 4th grader.

APPRECIATE ANY REPLIES

2. Sponsor

3. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

OK, went back a read the Black portion.

Most any of the FREE ones are not really free, you pay through the nose by having ads.

But Gmail.com and Outlook.com are not to bad.

4. EagleClaw92

Thanks for your reply.
    YES, my bad, I'm always telling people nothing is free.

I asked somebody I know this question and was told, use Gmail.com, you can set it up in a few minutes, piece of Cake. He was gonna set it up for me, but he had to get to the airport & is gonna be gone for 2-3 weeks.

Guess he forgot how wide the chasm is between his computer knowledge and mine or just thought anybody that knew a lick about computers should be able to do it.

I did look at the directions for that b4 I wrote the thread.

So I guess I'll go back and hunker down & I guess if I can't do it - I'm really in bad shape with computers. If I run into problems, I'll reply to this thread again.

P.S. - the guy I mentioned, I had asked him to fix a computer problem I was having. I had recently changed my OS from XL Pro to 7 & since I'm self taught I bought the OS 7 book in the series....such and such for Dummies.

After a few minutes he had fixed the problem but had upgraded me to OS10 & changed my browser.....I'm sure he just thought this was the best stuff to run on your computer....so I got some other stuff to learn & how it reacts to other things, etc.

I'm 64 and haven't been using computers that long. I had a specific need to use a computer back then and since have grown interested in more computer stuff. But I still just have an old desktop and no smart phone.

5. EagleClaw92

I'm not even sure if I'm using the forum right with some of the details. Anyway - I went to Utube & found a video that was supposed to be easy. 1st - go to google & click on G-mail. Then u start adding info to set up google account. Now - I vaguely remember setting 1 of these up years ago & I must have. I had written down the password but I think I had to use it once, years ago.

So I can't put in the info I want. If I try to open a new account, it won't let me. But if I try the old account, it says the password is wrong. So I check forgot password - then it says to go to your existing E-mail account where I'll find the info I need. As I mentioned b4, I dropped my old ISP (Comcast). Now if I go there, it says even though I dumped them, I can still use their E-mail if I click on YES, I AGREE TO THEIR TERMS OF SERVICE.

I don't want to do this because of all the bad experiences I've had with them, and that is a big number. So I'm already stuck & I know by the way the video was going - if I could have set up a new Google account - the next steps would probably be easy. I know from my experience if I get to see how to do something on a computer - after that, doing it is easy. But sometimes u can waste so much time if you have never seen something done and u have to figure it out.

Comcast won't let me see my E-mail page, but from another page their is an icon saying I have 54 new E-mails. Also, when I do get a new E-mail program up & running eventually - how do all the people that send u E-mails know what your new address is.

6. plodr

plodr Liz

Bit of advice - make your posts shorter. people here are volunteers with lives and won't read very long posts.

As far as Comcast, if you no longer use them, you won't be able to get your email. That's why it isn't a good idea to use an email tied to an ISP. (avoid Comcast, Verizon, etc because once you drop them, your emails are lost).

Go here: https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?hl=en-GB
    and sign up.

I have email accounts at Juno, Yahoo, gmail and Outlook.
    Regularly I go in and take screenshots of the email addresses of my "contacts". I print them out. If someone changes his/her email, I hand write the change until I print up a new copy.

If you don't know email addresses, I'm not sure how you will contact people to let them know your new email address.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1196262