1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

this is sad : Pat Tillman a former Arizona Cardinal died an american hero

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by buddhafabio, Apr 23, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. buddhafabio

buddhafabio Thread Starter

Cardinals' Tillman Killed at War
    Web Editor: Sean Rowe
    Last Modified: 4/23/2004 10:43:45 AM

Pat Tillman, a U.S. Army Ranger and former Arizona Cardinals strong safety, is being reported dead in Afghanistan, according to news reports.

Tillman, 27, enlisted in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, choosing to walk away from a 3-year, $3.6 million contract extension with the Cardinals. Tillman had completed four seasons with the Cardinals, from 1998 to 2001.

His dutiful decision sparked national headlines showcasing a recently married NFL star who gave up a burgeoning career to fight alongside his brother and fellow countrymen.

Tillman began basic training in mid-2002 with the aspiration of joining the Army’s elite Special Forces. Tillman was reportedly serving alongside his brother, Kevin, while part of the Elite 75th Ranger regimen. Both were stationed at Fort Lewis, located about 50 miles from Seattle.

Tillman was born in San Jose, California and went on to graduate from Arizona State University. Known for his physical prowess on and off the field, Tillman even completed a 70-mile triathalon before the start of the Cardinals’ 2001 training camp.

Attached Files:

2. Mulderator

Mulderator

Truly a hero. How many people would give up an NFL contract worth millions to do anything, let alone put yourself in harm's way? He is the epitome of the American spirit and should be an inspiritation to people everywhere in the world.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Well said Mulder.

4. Gibble

Gibble

While Mulder is right...after saying that don't you just feel like washing your mouth out with soap?

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

He gave up considerably more (10 mil for playing with St Louis). He turned it down so he could stay here, in Az, and be close to "home". 9-11 came along and it affected him so hard, he felt, he had to do something to insure the security of this country. So sad for his passing. So sad that this world simply can't JUST GET ALONG, without drawing blood. * My opinion: This world still remains in it's juvenile stages! *

6. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

War sucks.
    :(

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Lol, I think I saw Hotskates' sig line :eek: Ya, that's it, that's what made me say it :D

8. hotskates

hotskates

I hate to say it too, but Mulder is right this time, Tillman was a hero.

BTW: Thirteen more days and that sig line will be history!!!!!!!!!!!

9. izme

izme

All of the soldiers over there are heroes (y)

May he rest in peace

The NFL and fans of the NFL will miss him also
    :(

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

Fish is right! All of the soldiers over there are indeed heroes.

11. cadaver queen

cadaver queen

God Bless him and his family...My heart goes out to his family and people he loved ..

I don't want to take anything away from his decision but remember there were men and women who answered the call (after 9/11) that left children behind , their courage is just as note worthy as Tillman's ...It's just a damn shame that their deaths aren't as awe inspiring ..Money/fame is just that..nothing more...He (obviously ) was MORE just as ALL Military personnel are , who (voluntarily ) give the only thing they truly own .. their lives...to protect ours..

Yes , he gave up millions and did what he felt was right ..Fathers and Mothers have given away ( what is now close to 2 years ) of their children's lives ..only to be seen in pictures or letters..Is it the same or any less of a sacrifice...Less noteworthy ..maybe..

Tillman chose a higher calling..Thank you for your sacrifice...is all I can say..He is / was and will always be a soldier , not a title to be thrown around lightly ... So as you remember him in your own way ..Please try to honor all of those who didn't/haven't received the fanfare and those who are still in harms way...

"Hold Fast" to those hanging on ..You aren't forgotten.. (y)

12. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

This was sad news to hear...another hero gone. :( All the money in the world can't always buy happiness....Pat found his calling and died doing what he thought was best for him and his country. (y) God bless him and be with his family, friends and a grateful nation during this most difficult time. Take care. angel

13. Mulderator

Mulderator

I certainly do not intend to detract in the least from any of the other people over there--you are right, they are all heroes. But what people need to understand is what Tillman did goes above and beyond most of those over there. How many of those fighting in Iraq or Afghanistan would have volunteered to do it and given up a contract as a professional athlete making millions? I don't think I'd be wrong if I ventured to guess very few.

So its not that Tillman was a professional athlete that brings the additional notoriety, it is that what he did stands so far above and beyond what most people, even most currently in the military, would do that he deserves every bit of the special recognition he is getting.

Again, please don't anyone take this as detracting from the sacrifices made, but this man is a hero standing head and shoulders above the other heros, in my view. And again, it has nothing to do with him being a professional athlete--nothing at all.

Finally, I don't want to make this into a he's better than the next guy or the next guy doesn't deserve the same notoriety--just that what he did is absolutely unbelievable and a rarity of sacrifice among sacrifices.

14. sleekluxury

sleekluxury

Heard about this on T.V. yesterday, a true hero. :(

15. Mulderator

Mulderator

Here is an excerpt from the Jim Rome tribute last Friday:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice