1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

This is so simple.. please help!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by desInaner, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. desInaner

desInaner Thread Starter

Not exactly a problem with windows 7, but I'll make this short and sweet since I'm sure its a simple fix. I just got a Dell Latitude e4310 and I just installed windows 7. I try to connect to the internet using a ethernet cable thats connected directly. It says, "Install a driver for your network adapter. Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver."

I am looking all over to find where to download a network adapter for this computer. I cant seem to find it anywhere or do I need to download just drivers? I have a dell at my house my brother set up and we use a little netgear adapter? I guess it an adapter. Do I need to use that for this laptop?

Thanks for any help its much appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A network adapter is a physical device.

Assuming you have an integrated one you can download the driver from Dell's web site.

3. desInaner

desInaner Thread Starter

thank you for your reply. How can I find out if I have an integrated network adapter? I hope I do.. that would be annoying to have to connect a physical device to the side.

4. desInaner

desInaner Thread Starter

Communications

Network adapter

Intel 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN on system board

Wireless

WLAN half mini card
    WLAN/WiMAX half mini card
    WWAN full mini card
    Bluetooth card
    Ultra-wide band (UWB) card

If this was posted on the Dell site that would mean I just need a driver no?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You found those using your Service Tag?

Anyhow, you probably have at least ethernet.

What is listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters?

What, if any, warnings or errors are anywhere in Device Manager? (These are probably the devices that are lacking a driver.)

6. desInaner

desInaner Thread Starter

Those were just specs that I found when I looked up the model of my laptop. When I used the service tag on this computer (friends) it didn't really help much. Just gave me a bunch of drivers that were filtered for my service tag, but I dont understand what theyre all for. I downloaded the first driver under 'Network' of the Dell website which apparently for Applies to:
    Wireless WLAN 1397 Half MiniCard (4312bg) | Wireless WLAN 1501 Half Mini-Card (4313bgn) | Wireless 1520 802.11n MiniCard WLAN for Desktops | Wireless WLAN 1510 Half MiniCard (4322)

When I tried to install it on my dell laptop it didn't have the hardware to install it to like I thought it would.

Under device manager, there is no network adapter tab. Under the Other devices tab there is exclamation points by Broadcom USH w/ swipe sensor, Ethernet controller, Network Controller, and Unknown Device. They all need drivers apparently.

Thank you for your help thus far, it is much appreciated.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Chances are the Ethernet controller and Network Controller are the ethernet and wireless adapters.

From an etaf (Wayne) post:

How to identify hardware in Device Manager

right click on the device with a yellow!

from the menu choose
    properties
    Click on the Details Tab
    Under the Property - drop down
    Select hardware ids
    Right click and select all
    Then right click again and select copy
    Copy and paste that information here

You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

Vendor ID = 8086
    Device ID = 008A

These codes can be looked up at this site http://www.pcidatabase.com/

As an example the link for that database tells us that;
    Vendor ID code 8086 is for this vendor - Intel Corporation
    Device ID code 008A is for this device - Intel Centrino Wireless-N1030

------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. desInaner

desInaner Thread Starter

Broadcom USH w/swipe sensor:

USB\VID_0A5C&PID_5801&REV_0101&MI_00
    USB\VID_0A5C&PID_5801&MI_00

Vendor Id Vendor Name
    0x0A5C Broadcom Corporation
    0x10A5 Racal Interlan

I used 5801 for the device id? which gave me..

Device Id Chip Description Vendor Id Vendor Name
    0x5801 Unified Security Hub 0x0A5C Broadcom Corporation
    0x5801 USB Open Host Controller 0x11C1 LSI Corporation
    0x5801 DDRdrive X1 0x19E3 DDRdrive LLC
    0x0286 SUBSYS_95801014REV_02 0x9005 Adaptec Inc

Ethernet Controller:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_10EA&SUBSYS_04101028&REV_05
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_10EA&SUBSYS_04101028
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_10EA&CC_020000
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_10EA&CC_0200

so..
    0x10EA Intel 82577LM Gigabit LAN Driver 0x8086 Intel Corporation

Network Controller:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_422B&SUBSYS_11218086&REV_35
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_422B&SUBSYS_11218086
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_422B&CC_028000
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_422B&CC_0280

so..
    0x422B Intel(R) Centrino(R) Ultimate-N 6300 AGN 0x8086 Intel Corporation

Unknown device:

ACPI\SMO8800
    *SMO8800

I dont know what to put for this one.

Thanks again for your help! I look forward to your reply.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good work. :) If Dell has a driver for ethernet (Intel 82577LM Gigabit LAN) try that. If no ethernet driver then it is probably included as one of the chipset drivers. Chipset should be installed first anyhow.

Then, if Dell has a driver for Intel(R) Centrino(R) Ultimate-N 6300 AGN try installing that. If not, then try getting the driver directly from Intel's web site.

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

In general, Dell recommends the following order for driver installation:
    Chipset
    Graphics
    Ethernet
    others
    For my Dell Vostro, I followed the order listed at support.dell.com for my Dell Vostro, but the wireless wouldn't work. I asked at Dell's Forum. A Dell tech told me that in additon to the instructions on the Dell Vostro page, an additional driver was required. Life Happens.

See section 2.6 at
    http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/a...ference guide_en-us.pdf?c=us&l=en&cs=04&s=bsd

Service Manual

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/late4310/en/sm/index.htm

Support Page
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/late4310/

HTH

RF123

11. desInaner

desInaner Thread Starter

Thank you guys so much, your advice definitely helped.

I found the ethernet controller driver on the dell website and installed that. I then had to go on intel's website and find the driver for the network controller and installed that successfully as well (I feel like they could make this process so much easier. I'm decent with computers... how does the rest of the public deal with all of this??)

My only concern is that I only downloaded those two drivers. Now I at least have internet on the new laptop so I can download what I need... but is it going to be a problem that I did not install the chipset drivers first?

Oh, and one more thing.. before installing those two drivers individually, I tried downloading this CAB file that had a ton of drivers specific to my laptop. I didnt realize I needed to extract all the files first and then try to use it, but would you guys recommend using one of these CAB files to install all the drivers? Thanks again for yours guys time.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know anything about "this CAB file." It is my practice to use the latest drivers from the PC manufacturer's web site, installing chipset first, then networking and display, then others.

However, I believe in "if it ain't broke don't fix it," so if the computer is working satisfactorily I usually don't install different drivers. It's only when I have a problem or after a new Windows installation that I install chipset, etc.

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

If your computer works well, probably not.

If a problem occurs, you already have knowledge of how to approach the situation.

Congratulations on the progress.

Please mark the thread solved when you are satisfied with the status of the computer.
    RF123

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice