1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

This is wierd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brite750, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

just built a economy system for my daughter, she had my old socket 7 750T-bird, new case, old Antec 300w, A-Open socket A AK77-600via, Sempron 2400+, 2x256 PC2700. Seagate 20gig, Liteon combo, 1.44 fdd, cost me all of $250. The wierd part was that the stock hsf is just a solid aluminum, no copper, i'm thinking cheap piece of junk, well guess what the cpu temp at idle is no more than 35deg C, my sons same cpu, different hsf, 45deg C, what the heck, both are using AS5 compound. My sons hs is stock aluminum with a copper plate 1"x1" screwed to the bottom, i applied as5 between the cpu/copperplate/alum finned part where my daughters is just between the cpu and alum hs only. now i dont know what is causing the huge difference in idle temps, maybe you can just get two cpus that have that much difference, but i'm definately going to look for a better hsf for my sons pc, for one thing he is a heavy pc gamer and beats that cpu like a near-sighted step child, hours of constant play, so hes the one that needs the good cooling.

2. cheese

cheese

I've tried 4 HSF on my CPU....none made a difference at all. They all run idle at 50C and top at 59C, i wish i could get lower...but dont think its gunna happen :D

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I'm running a 3200+ which is a hot B anyway. The "ONLY" way I can keep it under 50*C at idle is with a Thermaltake Volcano 11+.

If your son is a heavy gamer I suggest something along those lines. Mine doesn't go over 55*C now and idles at about 45*C.

This is the second 3200+ I have dealt with and both have been scorchers so I knew what I was getting into.:D

4. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

Yeah, i just thought it was funny that her Sempron runs so cool, it read the same through the bios, Everest and the monitor software that came with the mobo, so i guess i believe it. My sons Sempron2400+ runs good it doesnt lock up or anything but you do have to keep an eye on his temps, now hes talking about ocing it so i'm not sure what hes going to get out of it, he wants to oc his 6800GT also, so I'm definately over my head, i think that there is some software to do that and i guess you can try turning up the mutilplier in the bios for the cpu a little, i'm not real optimistic about it though.

5. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

I got a hold of a hs that is alum with a round copper core press fit into the center of it so no screws or anything, i put one of these on my barton and dropped it about 8deg c from the stock piece of crap that had a pad on it. I was thinking of adding a 60x80 adapter also to help out I've heard that they work pretty good also for moving more air. His case has one of those air duct thingys that let cool air come right down on the cpu for passive cooling and you can add a 80 to that also. The rear 120 will just have to be able to vent all that air as fast as its coming in.

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Brite, how hot does your 2500 run? I have heard that the cores on my chip and yours are identical and the only difference is written on the chip itself.

The fact is, before some nasty dealers were OCing the 2500+ and selling it as a 3200+ the 2500 could be clocked to equal or better than the 3200. AMD had to lock the chip to put a stop to it. It can still be OCd to high speeds but not without doing a wire mod either on the chip or on the board. You just tie 2 pins on the L2 together with wire from what I have read.

Enough of that, how hot is your Barton?

7. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

I'm not that surprised, i think there is only so much you can do before you hit a wall, then your talking liquid cooling. I think there are just some cpus that can run cooler than others even within the same model and all other things being equal.

8. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

Skivvywaver,
    Just for reference my 2500 O/C'd to 3200 specs runs at 44-50c. The only thing you need to do to match 3200 specs, is to used DDR3200, and set the FSB at 200. It shows up in BIOS, and other diagnostics as a 3200.

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Man that is cool. I wish I would have known about the 2500+ before they locked it up.;)

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I use the Thermaltake Volcano 11 + Xaser edition. I regularly idle at about 35 - 40 c. It is a solid copper heat sink. It also pushes 72CFM of air. Makes a grand difference there. I am running a 2500+. Undr full load for me (not a gamer) it will run about 45 - 50 c. Depends a lot on my ambient temp. This HSF is a little more on the noisy side. But it will suck start a tomcat engine.

11. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

Skivvywaver, that's the thing, mine is a locked chip. The multiplier for the chip is locked at 11, but that is the same for both the 2500 and the 3200 they just use different FSBs the [email protected], and the [email protected]

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Ok, I see. My 2400+ would run a 333 FSB but you had to drop the multiplier to 12 or it would freak out. At 12.5 it wouldn't run prime95 without errors. I used 167 x 12 and run it at 2004 mhz.

The chip was really strong with the higher fsb, but the L2 cache was still only 256 which pushed me to the Barton.

13. winbob

winbob

Brite,

You said, "The wierd part was that the stock hsf is just a solid aluminum, no copper, i'm thinking cheap piece of junk".

Shame on you! Demeaning poor ole Aluminum!

While your mom's old Aluminum Pots n Pans may have increased your odds on getting Alzheimer's, they did conduct heat better than Copper!

Aluminum's Thermal Conductivity is GREATER than Copper's. So, with two Heat Sinks of the same design, the Aluminum one would keep your processor cooler....all other things being equal.

Now say you're sorry to that cheap a$$ed Heat Sink ;)

By the way, Aluminum also conducts electricity better than Copper, but is not as easily used for other metallurgical reasons. :(

14. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

43c with a stock hsf and AS5, of course it depends on the ambient temp, house is pretty warm right now, i should probably open the window and get the room down to 30f and see what difference it makes just for grins. If you live up north in the winter you could run some 3" diameter plastic duct from a window and have it go in to your case for some cheap cooling, er, better not, condensate would cause problems no doubt, you'd have icicles forming on your case

15. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

:D I will never doubt the power of aluminum again......wait a minute...who am I.....mom...you witch....hey I wonder if my brain would make a good heat sink.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice