1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

This may be a Stupid Question but...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aidsup, Apr 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aidsup

aidsup Thread Starter

i have an HP Pavillion dv6 series laptop and I already worked out what ram is compatible to upgrade from 4gb to 8 gb. Am i better off buying 2 new 4gb card thingos and replacing the existing one, or can i just get 1 new one and add on to my existing 4bg one. I'm a gas service technician by trade so i understand that electronic modules and pcb controls breakdown or lose performance overtime. i'm hoping i can be a tightwad on this one but if its stupid just adding 1 new part onto the old one then i'll get 2. cheers

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Depends. With a quality brand, you can likely get by just adding a single stick. The only real way to know is to try. Buy from a retailer with a good return policy, and you won't be out anything but a little time if it doesn't work. I haven't upgraded OEM hardware in awhile, but crucial used to guaranty their RAM and had an easy RMA process.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what software are you running , unless its 64bit - you want see the additional memory
    Also what are you doing on the PC which makes you think you need the extra RAM?

4. aidsup

aidsup Thread Starter

sweet i'll give the one a shot for now n see how i go. just wanted to make sure this wasnt a big no no thing to do lol

5. aidsup

aidsup Thread Starter

Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @2.3GHz

4gb ram

64-bit OS

i use protools and ableton alot and when i have audio interface plugged in aswell my laptop just struggles to run smooth or is very laggy or takes a long time to complete a normally simple quick process. after reading through some real basic computer info my very basic understanding was when a program is running the ram and cpu communicate and allow the program to run, but when you open bigger programs (like protools and ableton) the ram max's out and virtual memory is used on the hard disk and because the communication between the ram and hard disk is alot slower than the ram and cpu it takes longer complete a task on the program you have running. so having checked my ram usage in the resource monitor thing it was maxd completely and the disk usage was going mental aswell.

i pretty confident that adding ram will help fix my issue but i may be wrong because im not an expert on computers by any means, any suggestions or info is more than welcome :)

6. renegade600

renegade600

without the full model number of the computer it is tough to check, but you system could need pairs for the best performance. I would suggest going to crucial and do a search for your specific computer model and see what is says about pairs or you could post the full model number here and someone will check it for you.

7. aidsup

aidsup Thread Starter

had checked out crucial and scanned my laptop before i posted on here and found compatible ram i needed, very convenient service for someone like myself after i did all that i looked around for australian stores that stocked what i needed and actually got it cheaper because i can drive to get it instead of shipping from states...which is usually cheaper especially when i buy guitar stuff so i was definetly suprised and happy lol

my laptop is a hp pavilion dv6-6134tx (QC326pa) if you can think of anything i might need to adjust or look at im open to all help and advice....thanks

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you go to install the ram do so following this procedure;
    1 System OFF, remove the AC adapter/charger
    2 Remove the battery
    3 Now press the ON button [this removes any residual charge from capacitors]
    4 Open the ram bay and install or remove whatever you want.
    5 When finished, replace the battery and plug in the AC pw. Pw ON and make sure all is well ie all ram detected, etc.

9. aidsup

aidsup Thread Starter

this is very helpful thanks

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice