1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

This may be the most greatest challenge any of you has ever taken on.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dark_Forge99, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dark_Forge99

Dark_Forge99 Thread Starter

Nice to meet you all, I'm new here. Here's something I need help with ASAP.
    I'm trying to connect my PC to my TV. I've tried everything and it just doesn't seem to work. Before I get into detail, here are the need-to-know specs for my PC and my TV.

PC ~
    Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP2
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Video Card connectors (back of the PC): S-Video & DVI.
    RAM: 1024MB (Two 512MB sticks)

TV ~
    Model #: HD61LPW42 (Not on the RCA website)
    Brand: RCA
    Type of connectors: S-Video & DVI.
    Users Guide (incase if any of you will need to check it out. also, requires Adobe Reader): http://157.254.235.130/public/16314760.pdf

Now, my Video Card/PC has the capability to connect to the TV two ways - S-Video or DVI.
    I've tried connecting the two seperately and nothing shows up on my TV. I know to check all inputs in the TV (Inputs are like separate lines, one for a DVD Player, another for Satalite, VCR, Game, etc.) and it still doesn't show up. I went to my PC and right-clicked the desktop, Properties, Settings, Advanced tab, Displays tab and check things there (In the Displays tab, there are 3 out of 4 types of connections I can use. Those connections are Monitor, YPbPr, TV and FPD. YPbPr is the only one I cannot use). I tried all the available connections and nothing happens. The User's Guide for the TV doesn't seem to help. This definitely isn't Plug and Play.

Could someone please help me out? I feel as though I left out some crucial information, yet I don't think there's anything else. Ask any questions if you need to. Thanks.

2. cmw2010

cmw2010

You are sure you are using a DVI-D cable? Not a DVI-A cable. When you connect the DVI-D cable your input should be set to Input 5, selected by using the Input button on your remote.

3. Dark_Forge99

Could you tell me the difference please? Between the two cables I mean.

4. cmw2010

cmw2010

The DVI-D supports Digital signals, DVI-A supports Analog signals, there is also DVI-I that support both Digital and Analog signals. Your TV has a DVD-D input.

5. Dark_Forge99

Is this a typo? I've never heard of a DVD-D input.

6. cmw2010

cmw2010

Just noticed on this post I meant are you using DVI-D and not DVI-I cable. These two will connect but your TV might not support the DVI-I connection. DVI-A would not even be able to connect, there is different pin configurations.

7. cmw2010

cmw2010

Yeah, I meant DVI-D.

8. Dark_Forge99

Ah, I see. Each one has different pin configurations huh? The actual cable (I don't know which type it is) I used had 4 pins and a horizontal pin to the side, and the output for the TV has 7 pin slots with the horizontal. Since the pins fit into the output, I thought "It must be it".

'Tis a shame. Thanks a bunch.

9. cmw2010

cmw2010

Here is a link to the different types of connectors and some explanation. I have one of my pc's connected to an RCA DLP TV gut a different model. Mine uses a HDMI cable which really makes it a lot easier.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!