Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

This Might Be Easy to Answer

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Dawndd 
#1 ·
Hi -

I'm not a computer wizard and I did something screwy, not that I know what it was. So if you can answer me, 1st of all thank you, and second of all you have to speak to me like I'm a child with this computer stuff. The problem is that I wanted to get rid of my Welcome screen with the big picture and my whole name splashed a cross it. Man, I wish I had it back. Now I get an instant log on error once windows loads which has a Yellow Yield sign and says that I can't log on and I should check if I have the right domain and User Name, then I can type in the password. It needs to be in proper case ya da yada. Fortunately, Since this a 5 year old Sony Vaio desktop running WinXP Pro I have forgotten if there ever even was a password; however, I'm the only one who uses it so I guess I'm the Adminstrator. Anyway, I type in my full name with caps and hit enter and I'm allowed in. Besides the fact that no one wants to wake to an error beep, when I want to use task manager this partial screen comes up and asks me if I want to do all kinds of things. I just want to hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and get my old task manager back. We go throught the same process when I want to sign off. Not the task manager but another multiple choice screen.
Any advice is greatly appreciate. I know these are small things, but they are really annoying.
Dawn

See less See more
#2 ·
If you remember the date you made these changes you might want to go thru safe mode and do a system restore to a day or two before this date. Hopefully this will undo what you changed and solve the problem

#4 ·
You are not on a domain correct?

Go to Control Panel > Users > Advanced tab, uncheck the box that says "Make users use Cntrl+Alt+Delete to logon to Windows." Something like that. Also, if you go to Control Panel > System > Computer Name > Change button - make sure that "Workgroup" is selected.

#5 ·
Well, that was fun and I came all the way back to where I started, which is better than where I went to. OK. My system restore goes back a week and I did this change before then because it didn't help. That's what I get for procrastinating. Now, on Win XP Pro I went through the control panel to get to Users but there was Advanced tab in sight. No matter how the folder was configured. I saw no message like the one about Cntl+Alt+Delete. What I found was a message that showed the welcome screen, like it use to be, and so I clicked on it and rebooted. Well, it said loading windows forever - it wasn't going to get there. No lights on the front of my computer were blinking and I waited a long time. After this happened a few times I got in somehow through safe mode - it was weird because it flashed the welcome screen I wanted, but I couldn't get it back again. That's when I did the restore. So I figure that I'm exactly back where I started. If anyone has any other ideas I am game to try them. When I went to the Welcome scren it showed a picture of this "Classic log on prompt" that I'm stuck with, but it gave me no choice about turning it on or off. It basically said if I turned on the welcome screen that it was an alternative to the classic thing. It didn't work that way. Plus, my classic thing immediately pops up an error. So this is looking more complicated by the minute. I really do appreciate you all trying to help.
Dawn

#6 ·
What is the error that pops up?

#7 ·
Hi -

OK. I wrote it down. It's a box with a yellow Yield sign on the left with a nasty exclamation point. Behind it is another box. It says " Log On Message" Second line "The system could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are correct, Then type your password again" Then I hit "OK". I have not attempted to put in a password or my name since that box is behind the error message. There is no place to put domain, but I'm just all alone here with my computer and I don't see how I could be on a domain. Anyway, I type in my full name and hit enter. My computer is 5 years old and I don't know my password. I don't even know if administrators have them on XP Pro. Then I'm in fine. It's very bizarre. You can read down and see what else changed along with that message. Help.
Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.