Solved This old beast (Vista to win10)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Totorum

...Yeah, this thing, still running on Vista.

MSI M4a79 motherboard
AMD Phenom x4 940 (3 GHz)
ATI Radeon 4800
8 gb DDR
C: 150 GB
D: 500 GB
Brutal CM Scout case

I want to upgrade this old beast into a windows 10 midrange gaming machine, or at least make it viable as an interweb computer, it's pretty slow and has some "odd quirks", pretty sure that's due to Vista.
I don't care about anything on c:, if possible I'd like to preserve everything on d: (mostly .gif .jpg .mpeg .avi files on there).
Is it possible? Do I just need to buy a copy of Win10, format c: and install?
What would I need and how should I proceed?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I will stand corrected but I thought that was an Asus motherboard not an MSI
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A79_Deluxe/specifications/
The ram is DDR2 I think
However the answer is, it will run Windows 10, not of course as smooth or fast as more modern setups would

I am not sure you could call it a mid range gaming machine, it depends on what you term midrange

The graphics Radeon 4800
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-legacy

and other hardware will use Windows reference drivers, as there are NO windows 10 drivers provided for that hardware by the system manufacturers.

The answer to how is YES you will have to buy 10, as there is no free upgrade method available from Vista to 10

To preserve your data copy them to either an external hard drive or to a flash pen.

Then simply clean install 10 from your purchased installation media

crjdriver

That motherboard does not support win10. That means no driver support and asus did not want to invest the time/money to write drivers and testing for obsolete hardware.
I can tell you I have that same exact motherboard running win10 without issues [running a 965 with a slight overclock] It is hardly used anymore however it still runs.
It does run however it is NOT a speed demon.
Are C and D drives separate physical drives OR is this a single drive with multiple partitions? In any case, it is always a good idea to have a current backup of anything you want to keep.

Do understand that you are not going to be running any modern games with that system. You might be able to run 5~10yr old games however not anything modern unless you run on the very lowest setting; even then you will not be happy with the performance.

Last edited:

Totorum

I understand it won't be a speed demon at all, I wouldn't expect it to run triple A games on full graphics, just something that can run most games in my steam library with stability, at a decent pace.
C: and D: are seperate physical drives. One thing I would be worried about is win10 eating up all the space on c: which is only 150gb, leaving no room to install anything else. Would I be better off buying a bigger HD?

(edit) Yea, you right, the mobo is asus... lol

And, thanks for your advise, you guys are awesome.

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter

crjdriver

150 gig is fine for win10; somewhat depends on what you intend on installing. On this system here, I am using approx 60gig out of 465gig. This is win10, office 2016, UT2004, and UT3 installed on the system drive.
One thing I would highly recommend; getting a ssd drive. A 500gig samsung drive is all of $70 with free shipping;
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-evo-series-500gb/p/N82E16820147674
I just pw ON the old system running your mb and an amd 965 to do the 1909 update. Still running ok however IF this system had a spin drive for the system drive, you would be waiting a long time to do anything.

I wouldn't waste time or finances on a Vista machine. My computer club donates older machines from our members to our local schools (we clean them up and install Windows 10 on them), but we don't accept any Vista machines due to compatibility issues.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online