"This operation has been cancelled"...HUH?!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

charbach007

Hello!

So I feel pretty flipping stupid for having to post this, but anyways, here's what happened:

1. I let a friend use my computer and he changed the background to something nasty
2. I changed it back (right-click, save as background)

BUT

He changed the privileges somehow that I can't right-click and get to properties. Or view system info. Or go to the control panel.

It says: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your systems administrator for details."

I've searched for solutions but the one on Microsoft didn't work, and most of the others have to do with spy/malware which this one doesn't.

Thanks for your help!

~Charlie

charbach007

Already tried that, didn't work, unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Any other ideas ? :-\

charbach007

I succeeded at restoring to a previous restore point but that didn't fix the problem.

Sorry, I should be much more clear. I knew what I meant ;)

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
If the restore point was prior to him mucking around, and you are still missing permissions then something else is in play.

Download, install and run HiJackThis
Run the Scan and save log file option
When the LOG file opens in NotePad, select All, Copy
Then, return here and Paste

Hopefully something will be obvious in the log.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online