"this page can not be displayed"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sheilasheila

I am using me/ Windows 98. I have seen "this page can not be displayed"
more times than I have gotten on to a site. The bar that shows you are loading at the bottom of the page starts out fast but gets slower and slower
the here it comes "this page can not be displayed". I'm ready to pull my hair out or someones. As you can figure, I don't know my way around the computer very well. I think it might have something to do with my settings or my modem speed, or my DSL. I don"t have trouble getting on most sites but when I try to click on to a link that will take me deeper into the computer world, here it comes "this page can not be displayed" I try to refresh and it works sometime but 99% of the time it doesn't. My computer will not let Microsoft detect the settings. I also can not get any updates from Microsoft either. I need 24 updates it says but I can not "review and install"
Microsoft detects an error when looking for updates for my drivers also.
What is going on with my computer? Was I sold a computer where my Windows was not registered? I don't think so it has a sticker on the front saying "certificate of authenticity". I bought my computer from this "geek" who works on computer on the side and has a real job during the day. It was new not used.
I've tried to tell everything I think that may be of help but ask me any questions but remembers I don't know alot. Help***

Has this problem always existed, or did it begin at some distinct time, such as after some software installs?

Let us start by having a look at what you have running:

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

And, if you can manage it, I'd like to see you install another browser such as Firefox or Opera and see if you have any problems with it:

Firefox is probably the easiest to get started with:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online