1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

This Soooooooooo ticks me off!!

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Thanos255, Jan 17, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. Thanos255

Thanos255 Thread Starter

It is so easy to NOT be honest and ethical when it comes to purchasing DVD's.

There is Netflix, Blockbuster, etc..... It is so easy to just get a subscription, get the dvd's, rip them and send them back in the same day!!

So I say to myself, I am going to go purchase new stuff at Best Buy....I spend $19.99 on a new movie I have really wanted to see. I expect a DVD, and at least a little piece of paper showing me the chapters, maybe if I am REALLY lucky a two page little booklet telling me a bit about the behind the scenes or SOMETHING.

What do I get, just the dvd, nothing else.

I really believe that the ONLY reason movies are $19.99 is that we, the consumer, have shown that we are naive enough to pay it!! They give us less and less, soon they won't even gives us the jewel case, it will be a small plastic hard case.

I don't know how, why, when, or where but we have to change this. It is insulting. It is unethical. It is just damn wrong.

Any suggestions?

BTW - The movie was 'The Illusionist' which I am sure is a great movie...it does have Edward Norton and Paul Giamatti, oh yeah, who can forget Jessica Biel!

2. help4me

help4me

Are you actually condoning piracy?

3. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

4. Thanos255

Thanos255 Thread Starter

No no no..I am just stating that we it pisses me off that companies continuly give less and less and charge more and more, and for the most part expect us to bend over and take it with a smile.

It just makes me mad.

5. help4me

help4me

Ahhhhh..... I see.

6. Thanos255

Thanos255 Thread Starter

Just trying to make a point. Not that anyone should be rewarded for doing what IS right, I am just a firm believer in motivating with the carrot versus with the stick.

If they, the studios, want to really stop people from pirating, maybe instead of spending tens of thousands of dollars on a commercial before we all see a movie, which we all paid too much to get into and paid too much for snacks, which in turn gets us in a annoyed state of mind before they shove a 3-4 min commercial in our face before the movie....

Maybe they could spend that money on some thing we would all most likely appreciate more. So stuff inside the dvd box!

7. help4me

help4me

YAY!!! More pieces of pretty printed paper. Now that's an idea (y) And here I would have thought about lowering the price of the DVD. ;)

8. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

just wait till the movie comes to the dollar shows and see it then.don't know if you have them but here you can see a movie once it leaves the main theaters for only depending on show 50 cents for the first show time (first run of the day) or theres one at the mall for $1.75

9. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Or, if you have a decent library nearby, visit it and check out their movie stacks.
    It's your tax dollar at work, take advantage of it ;)

10. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

most dvds still have them not all do.And its best buy what you expect

11. Gibble

Gibble

So, you'd rather they kill more trees to make paper inserts/booklets for a DVD when most people don't look at them, and it's more efficient to just have all that information on the disc itself...?

I mean, what good is a chapter summary, when to change chapters it's simple to push "menu", select "chapters" and scroll through to the one you want and hit "enter"...done. What does a booklet give you that the on screen menu didn't?

12. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

Personally I'm all for getting rid of all the extras to lower the cost. I don't need a pretty jewel case (DVDs and CDs go into binders) and I rarely if ever look at the pretty slips of paper that come in them ... I watch or listen.

If eliminating those things lowers the cost for me I say get rid of them.

13. Thanos255

Thanos255 Thread Starter

Ok, well I did mention that they should lower the cost if they are not going to give us the same things that they used to inside the cases.

Ok, I got a much better idea....lets delete this thread so that we don't waste any more power, personal time, thoughts etc...

14. DiSaidSo

DiSaidSo

They only charge what the market will bear. They don't "expect you to bend over and take it." Enough people are paying $20 for a DVD, so they can continue to charge that much for it... regardless of how many inserts they put in it.

15. WarC

WarC

That's a trippy movie.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice