1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

this system has recovered from a serious error!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rosh325, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Hey, I am running XP Professional, and twice this week my comptuer has randomly restarted and come back on with the message "this system has recovered from a serious error"...followed by a whole bunch of "bcp" codes any ideas?

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

[tsg=welcome][/tsg]

Have you ran Windows update and downloaded the critical updates or installed Service Pack 1???

XP has known issues with the serious error thing!

there may be a problem with the code in the os or even something more simple.

run windows update and get all the critical updates and see if it still happens!

Let us know!

Good Luck!

ST

3. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the hello...i have run windows update but always get an error when trying to run SP1......apparently microsoft doesnt like that i used my xp cd from my first computer to upgrade my second.....it says that the sn is invalid (which isnt true as i bought xp for my first computer)..but what can you do..i guess bill gates wins this one?

4. SexyTech

SexyTech

Did yopu remove WinXP from the first computer???

If you did, then just call M$ and they'll have to reset the hardware profile activation for the signature on file with M$.

5. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

No i didnt...i didnt really think that was necessary..but i guess it is? I have this fear MS will find a loophole to not help me/will charge me to help

6. Jeerajat

Jeerajat

Ok there are ways around it though. Basicaly u can address the isssue ur sef no need for MS

7. boyoh53

boyoh53

Hi rosh325, Have a read here;

But Microsoft recognises that machines do get upgraded. If, following the activation after setup, you do not need to contact the activation center for 120 days (any changes you make during this time being seen as acceptable when the system boots), then the sheet is swept clean and you can start again using the current hardware as the new baseline to make more changes.

If you get a new computer, you are entitled to remove Windows XP from the one that is being junked, and install the same Windows XP on the new machine — but you will have to do the reactivation by a voice call and explain (unless, as was just mentioned, 120 days have passed since the activation was last performed).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice