1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"This update package could not be opened" Word 2007

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ken3009, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken3009

ken3009 Thread Starter

I have MS Word 2007 and vista. Word worked fine, but now when i try to open a word doc it says "preparing to install" for a brief moment and then i get an error message saying:

This update package could not be opened. Verify that the update package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer update package.

2. seanmurdock

seanmurdock

I had the same problem with my Office 2007. I found that I had actually installed a trial version of Office 2007 Professional that came with my Office Basic. When it expired, nothing worked.

So, I went to http://www.microsoft.com/office/backup and selected the option to download a backup copy of the software (since it didn't come with a CD). When it's done downloading (I have 1.5 MBps down and it takes roughly an hour), I have the license key that came with the computer to activate the version I should have installed to begin with!

Hope that helps!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/838848

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice