1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

This upgrade is making me crazy

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DevilDogMom, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DevilDogMom

DevilDogMom Thread Starter

I moved data from my vista PC to my new laptop with Win 7. I expected after the transfer that the data would be in the right places - like my favorites would be in Firefox in the bookmarks - nope they are not there. I knew it sounded too easy.

so what do I do now? I have backup of the important data like my favorites, my email folders, Word documents and I did the transfer by windows easy transfer. How do I get the data in the right software?

I really hate sounding stupid but why didn't it put it in the right places or when I open my email how do I move the data into Thunderbird?

I am so frustrated I could bite a nail in half...:) :mad:

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Please provide the W7 system info results; which you might have provided in 1 of your earlier threads.

FYI, & NOT to be nit picky, Favorites is an IE term and Bookmarks is FireFox's term for the same concept. Did your IE Favorietes transfer to IE Favorites. Did FF Bookmarks transfer to FF's Bookmarks. I have no experience with Google Chrome or other browsers.

I think I read that someone suggested Mozilla utilities to move Bookmarks & email settings & / or msgs.

I have not tried them because I was unaware of those utilities. Thus, no criticism from me.

MY choice is to do things the old fashioned way; export FF Bookmarks on the old computer; import FFB on the new computer. For my IE favorites, I simply copy C:\ . . . <user_name>Favorites\files & folders to [ in W7 ] C:\users\<user_name>Favorites .
    But that is just me.

Which version of M Tb?

Try these search strings in your favorite browser.
    transfer mozilla settings

transfer mozilla messages

The programs, such as Word, will find the files; more accurately be able to open the files. It is called "file association". You can put the .doc or .docs files which you had created in almost any place. I would avoid:
    C:\windows
    C:\program files
    C:\users\<user_name>\favorites
    C:\users\<user_name>\local settings
    C:\users\<user_name>\app data

BUT, you can certainly transfer your .doc & .docx files to C:\users\<user_name>\my documents
    or C:\users\<user_name>\desktop
    OR, you can create c:\old_computer_Word_Files

I hope you have good dental coverage. ;)

RF123

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

4. DevilDogMom

And please be as nit picky as you desire. I am not as knowledgeable as I should be. Any extra info I receive, from someone who knows, is a plus for me. I find the many aspects of software and hardware confusing. You obviously do not find them confusing at all. I appreciate that fact. Thank you for you help and instructions. My firefox version is 18.0.1. My version of Tbird is 17.0.2. Sorry I should have included that in my post. Thank you.

5. DevilDogMom

Oh and I will try what you suggested. I hope I can do this successfully. I do not want to have to pay an IT person to do something that, on the surface seems very simple.

6. valis

valis Moderator

Nice. (y)

Would that all people were as willing as yourself to learn. :)

7. DevilDogMom

Forgot to mention I don't use IE. Had no favorites to transfer. I use Firefox. Hubby uses IE.

8. DevilDogMom

Thank you. You are an expert (any person with that many initials after their name is an expert) and why do you have a "rate me" option in your message? Rainforest123 does not have a "rate me" option. Just curious.

9. valis

valis Moderator

affero used to offer 'ranking' for helpers; I believe affero is still up, but it sort of got left by the wayside.

And as for being an expert, hardly. That's actually why I started hanging out here, in order to learn. :)

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

D D M:
    I concur with valis.

An open mind is a valuable asset.

RE:
    It seems that my cloaking device is fully functional today. :D

RE:
    Were his IE favorites on the computer in discussion?

Have you tried the export / import method?
    TB
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools/

FF export
    http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/export-firefox-bookmarks-to-backup-or-transfer

FF import
    http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/import-bookmarks-html

Best of success.

RF123

edit:
    RE
    I don't do why questions. It is hard enough for me to know why I act as I act, sometimes. :)
    end edit

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice