1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thought you should all know this

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by telecom69, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

Subject: Fw: VERY IMPORTANT
    > >
    > >
    > > During the next several weeks be VERY cautious about opening or
    > > launching any e-mails that refer to the World Trade Center or 9/11 in
    > > any way, regardless of who sent it.
    > > PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY.
    > > For those that don't know, 'WTC' stands for the World Trade Center.
    >This
    > > is very dangerous because people will open it right away, thinking
    >it's
    > > a story relating to 9-11.
    > > Do not open "WTC Survivor"...It is a virus that will erase your whole
    > > "C" drive. It will come to you in the form of an E-mail from a
    > > familiar person. I repeat, a friend sent it to me, but called and
    > > warned me before I opened it.
    > > He was not so lucky and now he can't even start his computer! Forward
    > > this to everyone in your address book. I would rather receive this
    > > 25 times than not at all. If you receive an email called "WTC
    > > Survivor" do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes
    > > all dynamic link libraries (.dll files) from your computer.
    > > PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE

2. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Run that through Symantec search. I bet you'll find that it is a hoax.

3. buf

buf

4. telecom69

Hi there,I just had this response back from tsglist mail as well.....
    PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE

Fortunately for our computers only the line above is the virus part of this. Below is what I found on Symantic's website. I didn't check other anti=virus/hoax sites but it is well worth doing. A search on Google with "virus hoax" will give you many hits.

Will
    (Speaking as profoundly as if I had never done this. I haven't, really, I didn't, well, maybe once, but only once. It depends on what you mean by "is" <G>)

Symantec Security Response encourages you to ignore any messages regarding this hoax. It is harmless and is intended only to cause unwarranted concern.
    Type: Hoax

The following email hoax began circulating in October 2001:

I just received a couple of emails regarding a "new" virus with the following message in the body of the email:

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 08:50:15 -0500
    Subject: Fwd: FW: Warning- New Virus: "WTC Survivor"

Dear All,

BIGGGG TROUBLE !!!! DO NOT OPEN "WTC Survivor"
    It is a virus that will erase your whole "C" drive. It will come to you in the form of an E-Mail from a familiar person.
    I repeat a friend sent it to me, but called and warned me before I opened it.
    He was not so lucky and now he can't even start his computer!
    Forward this to everyone in your address book. I would rather receive this 25 times than not at all.

If you receive an email called "WTC Survivor" do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic link libraries (.dll files) from your computer.

5. telecom69

Hi guys panic over then, lol, thanks for your responses enough troubles in the world as it is good luck to you both ;)

6. buf

buf

No intentions of making you feel bad about your post. Only interested in letting everyone know that THIS one is a hoax.
    I have sent out via emails such well intended alerts myself--until I learned to check the hoax list first.

7. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

for all kinds of hoaxes is HERE. They pretty much have it all covered...:) Rhett

8. Corrosive

Corrosive

Virus hoaxes are very easy to spot y'all. If you read them, you'll find that they're choc-a-bloc with spelling, grammatical and factual errors, and will also tell you to forward it to all you're friends. A good tip is to put the words "Please forward this message" in a mail rule so it can automatically delete all this. It'll also stop some spam too.

9. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Anything asking you to forward a message is a hoax. If it is truly by a security company, they will not be forwarding & spamming it to people but will offer a fix in their virus definitions and post it to their website. It also says opening it will erase your whole C:\ drive, that is not possible by opening an email message. You would have to run an attachment, or someone would have to find a major flaw in a certain email program that allowed them to run a local program (fdisk) or run a program remotely. Even then it would only work in certain email clients, which would be listed if it were a real security warning.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice