1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thoughts on new GPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dant22185, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dant22185

dant22185 Thread Starter

In the coming months I will probably be looking at running a new GPU set up. I am strung between the Geforce GTX 295 series or the ATI HD5870. Both look awesome both have good reviews. Although there are some differences. The GTX requires a whopping 680 watts of power to run and the cheapest version (non water cooled) costs a staggering almost $600 bucks. The ATI HD5870 I have heard over and over in benchmark tests it proves faster. Also it requires almost 200 watts less for power supply and it on average costs around $2-$250 less than the Geforce card.

I wanna know your thoughts. I am personally Not a huge ATI fan I have had a couple in the past and I've had some driver compatability issues. But from what I have heard the driver issues are working out and they are becoming lots more reliable. So I think I am shifting to the other side with this. I'd like some input if yall have any good things to offer. Thanks!

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

I think the ATI sounds good the be honest. That is what I would go with. I usualy use the cheaper nvidia cards and more expensive ati cards.

3. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I would go for the ATI 58710 hands down, eventhe dual GPU $600+ Nvidia don't perform much better or alot more.

That and the points you mentioned on less power/ heat...

And finally, ATI seems to consistently have better drivers, I would suffer worse performance if it saved me a headache from drivers.

4. dant22185

dant22185 Thread Starter

Ya honestly I was leaning more toward ATI for several reasons. I would just like to really see what a hardcore Nvidia guy and ATI guy have to share on this. Maybe possibly offer me some insight.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/867310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice