1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thoughts on this mobo/CPU please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moozer, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I never build with msi so I really do not know however buying used mb off of ebay is asking for problems.
    You can buy a new asus board that supports AM2, AM2+, AM3 and uses ddr2
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131618
    I know you are in the UK however I would think there is an asus distributor somewhere in the UK you can order the board from.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its a deal if you had to buy those parts from a retail store. MSI is an OK brand and the board is based on an older NForce 520 chipset not one of the newer chipsets. The CPU is a really an entry level processors by today's standards. Memory you don't need nor the video card which is very entry level so both of those you could resell to get more money back.

4. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

Thanks guys - I've only ever had Gigabyte and Asus motherboards in the past and I really trust these brands (particularly my current Asus board)
    My gfx card is Radeon HD5670 - so I'm okay there

My current board is based on the 430 chipset, so I'm not sure if the 520 chipset is going to be a reasonable upgrade

Good idea on the resell value though!!

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not much, the lower 500 series are simply an updated version of the NForce4/400 series. The CPU is were you'd get all the boost from, which you do need the matching board for which is unfortunate. Gigabyte and Asus are the top brands for AMD boards. I don't like MSI, never used/installed one I liked.

6. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

Okay thanks for the heads up!! I'd like a system that wil complement my gfx card - I do a fair amount of gaming and graphic intense presentations for work. I find my current setup to be fairly good, but I think it could do with being upgraded for stability?

The Asus board suggested by CRJDRIVER looks good but here in UK, prices are stupid ($80USD compared to £80GBP which is about $130USD!!!!)

I don't necessarily have to stick with AMD (I think I'm staying faithful to the brand as my last 3 CPUs were AMD!!), but as I say I am happy to entertain Intel chips - just need somethin reasonably good and good value (cheap!!!)

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I tend to like AMD and ATI and the AMD/ATI pairing - exceptional value.

Take a look at Gigabyte boards based on the AMD 785G chipset and the AMD Phenon II processors.

This dual core Phenom II has been unlocked to 3 and 4 cores by many people and then overclocked: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-249-AM&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=1328

And a Gigabyte 785G motherboard with DDR2 support: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-247-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1482
    But you need DDR2 800Mhz or faster.

Not terribly cheap, the CPU alone costs as much as the bundle. You could again sell you existing motherboard and CPU.

8. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

Hmmm...my current memory is 667MHz.

Are AM3 boards backward compatible with AM2 CPUs? I assume that installing AM2 on AM3 would reduce Bus speed?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    EDIT: AM3 processors do work in AM2 and AM2+ motherboards. AM2 and AM2+ processors do not work on AM3 motherboards. If supported by the BIOS.

10. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

That's great - thanks for the help

11. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

Triple6 - just been checking the links posted in this thread and I noticed you sad that AM2 CPUs are compatible with AM3 boards and that the opposite is true - does this mean AM3 CPUs can be installed on an AM2 board? I thought the pins were configured differently?

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sorry, my mistake. AM3 processors do work in AM2 and AM2+ motherboards. AM2 and AM2+ processors do not work on AM3 motherboards. I've edited to correct myself.

13. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

Thanks for clarifying...shame on you!!! lol

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice