1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thoughts on value of my PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tanis, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tanis

Tanis Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi,

Im am just after some thoughts and opinions on the rough value of the PC below that I am looking to sell. I am upgrading but have no idea what to sell the old one for and don't want to undercut myself or price myself totally out of the market.

Thanks for any thoughts / replies.

This is a home build but a few years old.

Case: Coolmaster Elite 334
    PSU: OCZ 700w StealthXstream
    CPU: Intel Core2Duo E4600
    Motherboard: Asus P5N-E SLi
    Graphics: XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog (factory overclocked) with Thermalright HR03-A non-stock heatsink & 90mm fan.
    RAM: 2x 1Gb OCZ 800Mhz RAM with heatsinks
    Sound: Sounblaster Live 24bit / onboard soundcard aswell
    Optical: LG 16x DVD RW
    HDD: 1x Sata Maxtor 120Gb
    LCD: Samsung SyncMaster 913N 19"
    Keyboard: Logitech Mx3000 Wireless
    Mouse: Cheap standard wired mouse (as I am keeping my G500)

Will include WIn XP Pro Original CD and product key (obviously) + Slipstreamed SP3 CD

2. TekTime

TekTime

My opinion is that these days, it's somewhat difficult putting a true monetary value on a PC. I say it depends on your local market, and what the market will "bear". Take a look in classified ads in the area that you would sell it in to see what a computer with similar specs is being sold for (second hand)

3. BruinBeer

BruinBeer

How long do you have this computer? Roughly, desktops lost 2% of its value per week.
    Say you buy a new computer today for $1000 its worth about $300 the next year, $100 the year after that etc etc.
    The reason for this is that every year they make faster cpu's, bigger harddrives etc and its for sale for nearly the same price as the older stuff.

4. Bernardo

Bernardo

Simply look at what you could buy a new one for. The new one is going to be faster, have more ram, probably have a bigger hard drive....and take it from there ;) downwards, of course.

Just noticed, 120 gig hard drive :eek: wow...........very very small by any standard now.

5. Tanis

Tanis Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shane
    Yea, the hard drive is probaly the weakest link in the setup but I have never needed anything bigger. As I said, I know its not going to be worth very much, was just looking for an idea.

It does have a 160Gb secondary HDD (forgot about that), Ive kept the 120Gb as the primary because it's Sata and the secondary is only IDE.

Might just have a look on Ebay and get an idea on the individual parts and take it from there, may well just stick it on Ebay at a fairly low cost and see what happens after I get the new one.

Either that, or worst case is ill just hand it over to my mum who is after a bit of an upgrade, but this is far more than she needs for surfing, email and banking haha.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

There is no good formulation for figuring depreciation and the value of a machine from area to area since sales are based on supply and demand within a given area.

Check eBay to see what a comparable machine is selling for, but before you list it on eBay try to sell it on your local CraigsList. I buy and sell quite a few used machines and have done better on CraigsList than eBay.

As a "tip" do a fresh installation of XP with all the critical updates. Advertise the machine as being with a fresh installation of XP and a full set of recovery discs and they sell faster.

7. Tanis

Tanis Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shane
    Yea, I would of done all that as I thought it would make it a little more appealing. A lot of the machines you see for sale have no OS or anything with them.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

I see a lot of machines advertised that say works fine, but needs .......... People don't want to buy something that needs something. They want to buy a machine they can plug in and start using right away. I have a lot of people that buy from me because I advertise a full set of recovery discs.

I also am straight up with them in the ad and tell them the only warranty is that I will demonstrate the machine and prove that everything is working properly at the time they pick it up. You have no control of the machine after they leave with it, therfore you can't really give a warranty on a used machine.

9. Compiler

Compiler

Yep... Win2KPro... I've had that happen with a used name-brand PC I resold. The owner used it for a bit, moved had it in storage and a year later takes it out to give to one of his kids. I came over to update the computer (AV, firewall, Reader, etc) - the computer worked for about 5 minutes, never stable after that. The guy was upset because he only used it a few times... but hey, its been in a garage for a year, who knows what has happened to it.

Sold him another used computer which works fine. :)

Rough guess on the value of that computer above.
    $400~450.

The 8800GT, WindowsXP CDs are the highest valued parts.
    HDs are so small, they have no value as todays 500GB HDs sell for $50~60 new.

10. Bernardo

Bernardo

11. Tanis

Tanis Thread Starter

First Name:
    Shane
    Thanks for all the info and comments guys, much appreciated. I was actually considering buying a large, used HDD to put in it if I can get one at a low price, again from ebay or something.

I haven't got the replacement sorted out yet so still got a bit of time to research.

12. Bernardo

Bernardo

Just an idea. I think I'd try to sell the video card on eBay --- put a cheap one in (or if you have onboard video, leave it be) ---- and let your mum use it :D Mother's day is coming :)

13. Compiler

Compiler

Well... only a fool would spend $170 for a 2 year old video card... when there are faster cards going for $100.

14. Bernardo

Bernardo

I wasn't insinuating that he'd be able to get $170 for the video card ;)

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Maybe if you as a seller can say you refurbished the pc and that some parts are new....I do just that with trade in pc's. As a pc owner trying to sell a used pc you would be lucky to get $300 for that and again, I am not being insulting, just know what that market will bear.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice