1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thread moves

Discussion in 'Site Help & Feedback' started by JohnWill, Sep 17, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator Thread Starter

This is a question for Mike.

Is it possible to have expiring thread redirects? I know other boards have them expire and disappear after some period of time. I suspect that a week would be a sufficient time to keep a "moved" tag in the incorrect forum for a thread that we have moved.

I know this question came up before about why the "moved" tags were there, and this would correct the problem over time and still allow the original poster to find his thread initially if he came back in a reasonable amount of time.

2. TechGuy

TechGuy Mike Administrator

When you move a thread, you have the option not to leave the "Moved:" link in the old forum. Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to make them disappear on their own after a certain period of time. Maybe I can look into writing that in the future! I think it's a great idea. :)

3. JohnWill

I've seen other boards based on the VB software that have "expiring" links. I thought it was a basic feature. :)

4. JohnWill

From another vB board, this is what our Move Thread looks like, and the second shot is what appears below where ours is blank. It looks like a standard feature.

I'd set the default to 1 week with an expiring redirect if we had a feature like this.

Attached Files:

5. TechGuy

Looks great! It might be an add-on or a feature in a newer version of vB.

6. JohnWill

I figured it was probably a vB feature, since it seemed to fit so seamlessly into the display.

I leave the details in your capable hands. ;)

7. TechGuy

Thanks, John! :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/625232