1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thread Title Lol

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jedicmdrwedg, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jedicmdrwedg

jedicmdrwedg Thread Starter

uhh

I seem to be having a problem with my computer.

It shuts off for no apparent reason, and then (even weirder) I have to unplug it, leave it out for a bit, and then plug it back in to make it start up again.

For some reason, this only happens when I play Counter-Strike, and, more specifically, when I'm loading a map or downloading it from the server. It never happens when I'm working in other resource-intensive applications. Only Counter-Strike, and only loading or downloading maps. Once it's turned itself off, it doesn't let me turn it on, no matter how long I let it sit. I push the button and nothing happens. The only solution is to unplug and re-plug.

I have tried three different power source units and come across the same problem.

Just now I had another problem: I was using Firefox when I heard the "click" of a hard drive shutting down, and then the computer killed anything I tried. I tried to open a menu in AIM and it froze AIM. I tried to open another Firefox window from the taskbar, and Explorer froze. I tried to change the page in Firefox, and Firefox froze. It must be some evil trick--I was posting on another board about this very problem when it happened.

After I unplugged and re-plugged the PC, it sat for a l,ong time at the "Detecting IDE drives" screen, long enough that I turned it off and looked inside. None of the plugs had come out of any of the drives. None of the plugs were loose. The drive had made the "click-weeEEEEE" sound it makes when it turns on. I turned the computer off again and welt through the unplug re-plug process. This time it started up.

Now the comptuer seems to be working fine, but the last incident leads me to believe it's some kind of hard drive problem. The motherboard is only about a month old and the power source has been eliminated as a candidate. Does this sound like a hard drive issue? Is my poor HD on its last leg? Or is it something else?

2. junker39

junker39

It sounds like the drive may be about to die on you. I recommend you back up your important files and then go to the hard drive's website and download and run their diagnostic program. It should let you know what's happening with it.

3. jedicmdrwedg

Heh.

I ran the diagnostic program, and halfway through, it crashed. Now it's not starting up.

I guess that pretty much settles it--something is wrong. What I still don't know is which part.

Given that I again heard the "click" of a hard drive shutdown, I can be fairly certain it's my drive dying and not, say, the motherboard.

Now it's showing me the "Detecting IDE drives" message for an extended period of time again, and no amount of unplug-replug will help. Tomorrow morning I'll install an OS on another drive and see if I can recover anything.

4. jedicmdrwedg

Hmm.

I ran it in safe mode and I was able to get the hard drive diagnostic program running properly. It says the drive is working fine.

How would I be able to tell if my motherboard was going wacky? The only other motherboard I have taht I could use also has a problem that forces it to shut down (restart, actually).

5. junker39

junker39

Try shutting down and unplugging the IDE cables from any CD/DVD drives you have and also the floppy drive. Then start up and try to eliminate these drives as the source of trouble. Shut down, hook one back in and restart. Keep doing that until you narrow down the problem. A screwy cd or floppy drive can do funny things.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/345061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice