Three beeps on boot up, RAM problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JojoX97

I recently decided to upgrade the amount of RAM in my machine. It's a slightly out of date Gateway, made back in 2001. So after checking compatability, I ordered a 512 MB stick. (PC133 SDRAM 168 pins) Which, according the the manufacturer, should have been compatable.

I previously only had a 256 MB in, so I removed that, placed the 512 in, and then placed the 256 in the next available slot. I tried to turn it on, and got three beeps, no video. So I put it back to how it was before I changed anything. Three beeps again.

At this point I'm baffled, I can't understand why the original configuration wouldn't work. Any ideas or suggestions?

Will it work with only the new 512?
If your 256 wasn't the same as your 512.. Compatable is one thing same is another.
Different RAM sometimes used different voltage.. If your motherboard auto configured to the new RAM, it may have "zaped" the old one.. <<that is a guess though.

PC's are finicky they like some things and hate most everything else.. It's a guessing game if something will work..

Edit: want a scarry example... Original config AMD 2400 chip.. put in a 2500.. things go way bad.. after checking.. Found out that the original setup no longer worked either..
cause?.. not sure, but the motherboard and my slave hard drive were fried..

So changing the processor cost me a Motherboard and a hard drive.. And it all shold have worked, just bad timming for failed parts..

JojoX97

Yes, I tried with just the 512, so success there. Is it possible that both of them got zapped?

the 512 works? No beeps?..
Use that then.. your 256 may not be compatable with the 512..
even the same specs, but by different manufacturers can have trouble..
The only sure way is to get matched RAM, but that can be more money.. So we gotta take our chances.

You can try sending it back for an exchange, when you get the new one, just try it..

Ah, the word success threw me off then..

Send the 512 back for an exchange..
when the new one arrives, try it and only it.. if it works sweet..

If not your motherboard is having some problem.. You didn't "shock" it by mistake right?..
No static electricity?..

JojoX97

I was sure to discharge prior to touching the memory.

Guess I'll send it back and hope for the best.

It's hard to run #'s for old RAM, unless it has it's specs on a sticker you just wont know..
But the new RAM should have all it's info..
you may need to set the voltage in your BIOS.

I don't know about Gateway, so I guess it could have an auto configure..

Lets wait for some more help on the issue..
But at least you can get a new 512, so you'll be more sure it is working.

So you have 3 slots. If you already haven't try the new stick alone in each of them. Try the old stick alone in each of them. If neither works in any of the three slots I'd guess your new stick was bad and took the old one with it (hopefully not the slots though). You happen to have the site address and/or word for word box/sticker listed specs on the new stick you bought?

i believe that somtimes they like to make a 1st slot ... meaning you need somthing in that slot your OEM Ram? the 256 stick where that was originally placed? did you put it back in the same slot..

512 sdram.. :) sounds odd

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online