1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Three Computers, 1 without Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by I[Cant]Win, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. I[Cant]Win

I[Cant]Win Thread Starter

Problem: Losing Major Packets

Scenerio
    1- Linksys BEFSB41 (LAN Router)
    2- SMC2804WBR (Wireless Router)

I added in the wireless router so I dont have to send wires down a long set of stairs. My main computer still has internet and the new computer has access via wireless. The middle computer, hooked up to the LAN router, however has no access to the internet.

I reinstalled my NIC card. re-installed all the drivers for the computer. Everything works fine. I have a connection but am losing packets 57-75% of the time. I tried taking out the wireless router, and still the same problem persist. I also got a new Ethernet cable and the problem is still there.

I think the problem is my Linksys router. It wont relay information properly. It sends information out, but i wont receive any back. I did a Network Diagnostics and it says my connection passes? Can anyone help me? Thanks.

--EDIT--

Okay, so i tested something out. The computer with the wireless connection works fine no matter what. But if information isnt being sent out from that computer, i dont lose packets...How do I set a static IP for the wireless computer? Maybe its interfering with my middle computer.

2. coulterp

coulterp

Can you state precisely how all your kit is connected up because it is impossible to determine from your posting.

Where and what modem is used?
    Re. the connectivity of modem to router. Which router? How, where and to what is the second router connected?
    The middle computer means little. Exactly what PCs are connected to which router and how?

I too think it sounds like the "LAN router" provided that the other router is the one with, or connected to, the modem. But without the exact details as requested above it is difficult to say with certainty.

Many (most?) routers have facility to tie a MAC address to a specific IP address. Alternatively you can manually set an IP address in the PC and then arrange for the DHCP router to never issue that IP address. (Which brings us back to the need for more information, which is your DHCP router? Hopefully not both!

3. I[Cant]Win

Oh sorry. Lets see.

Main Cable Modem: Motorola SB4200 SURFboard.
    Computer 1 (Main) - Connected to Hub 1 of MAIN Linksys BEFSB41.
    Computer 2 (Child) - Connected to Hub 2 of MAIN Linksys BEFSB41.
    SMC2804WBR (router) - Connected to Hub 3 of MAIN Linksys BEFSB41.
    Computer 3 (Child) - Connected to SMC2804WBR via wireless NIC.
    Computer 4 (Child) - Connected to SMC2804WBR via wireless NIC.

** Computer 4 was added about 15 minutes ago **

Computers 1 and 2 have Static IP while Computers 3 and 4 has Dynamic IP.
    Computer 1 - IP address: 192.168.1.100
    Computer 2 - IP address: 192.168.1.103
    Computer 3 - IP address: 192.168.2.100
    Computer 4 - IP address: 192.168.2.101

** If computer 4 is surfing the web, then Computer 2 can surf as well. However, if Computer 3 is surfing the web, then Computer 2 cannot. **

DHCP is enabled on the Linksys Router. DHCP is disabled on the SMC router. Help!

4. coulterp

coulterp

The Motorola SB4200 SURFboard is connected to the WAN port on the Linksys BEFSB41?

When you say "Hub 1 of MAIN Linksys ...", "Hub 2 of MAIN Linksys ..." I'm assuming you mean "LAN port 1 ...", etc.

How is the SMC2804WBR connected to the LAN port 3 of the Linksys BEFSB41? Is the SMC2804WBR connected by one of its LAN ports to LAN port 3 of the Linksys, i.e. is the WAN port of the SMC2804WBR vacant?

PCs 3 and 4 have Dynamic IPs; so the Linksys BEFSB41 is allocating subnet 192.168.2.0/24? Yes?
    Whereas PCs 1 and 2 are statically defined in the PCs? Yes? But to a different subnet. (PCs 1 and 2 are on a different subnet from PCs 3 and 4.) Is this intentional?

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

did you configure the linksys yourself or use the install cd, i recommend the cd.
    if the wireless is working the linksys router is working.

change the slot the nic card is in on the machine that isn't working.

i have all of mine obtaining the ip addresses automatically in tcp/ip properties. :cool:

6. coulterp

coulterp

Which machine would that be exactly?
    PCs 2, 3 and 4 all working (PC 1 is assumed working as it is not otherwise mentioned). PC 2 fails if PC3 is surfing, but is otherwise working. So its NIC is working. QED.
    The available evidence does not seem to point to a NIC problem.

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

the original post said the middle computer can't connect. see below.

I added in the wireless router so I dont have to send wires down a long set of stairs. My main computer still has internet and the new computer has access via wireless. The middle computer, hooked up to the LAN router, however has no access to the internet.

8. I[Cant]Win

yeah. I installed both routers using the cd and Setup Wizard. I also called in the tech for Linksys and SMC and they have no idea what is wrong. Coulterp, I have an ethernet line connecting from my Linksys "port 3" to the WAN of my SMC router.

What? I dont get it. The Linksys router has 192.168.1.1 for the Device IP address and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. The SMC router has 192.168.2.1 for the Device IP address and also a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

[SIDENOTE] SMC representatives are poorly educated. I called in twice and both representative had little networking knowledge.

9. coulterp

coulterp

Post #3 has gone past that.

10. coulterp

coulterp

To be using the two routers as you appear to be already half using them (ie you said you had disabled DHCP on the SMC) then you need to be plugging the Linksys "port 3" to a LAN port on the SMC and leaving the WAN port of the SMC vacant. You are then using the Linksys as your DHCP server and you are using the SMC as little more than a switch (but you able to use its wireless capabilities).

Exactly; like I said that's two different subnets, 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 and 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0.
    Also as you said you had disabled DHCP on the SMC then the Linksys is providing DHCP and that will be on the 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0. So the Linksys should be giving a LAN IP to the SMC, and then the IPs to *all* PCs and thus they should all be having 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 addresses.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You might try a different configuration for the two router's, here is how I recommend they be connected.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

12. I[Cant]Win

Okay I got all four computers to work, although I do not know if they are all stable enough. I'm no longer losing massive packets YET.

I can access my Linksys Router from all four computers now, but alas I lose the ability to access my SMC router. Oh well, i dont need it any longer. All my computers have the 192.168.1.X IP address which im happy to have gotten. Thanks everyone, especially you coulterp! If I need any more assistance, this is the place i can count on.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice