1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

three computers networked

Discussion in 'Networking' started by misika, Apr 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misika

misika Thread Starter

I have three computers, all running windowsXP, and a wireless d-link router.
    My computer is directly connected to the router, my two daughters computers are connected via wireless d-link router cards. We have no problem connecting to the internet on any of the three computers.

I never really cared before about being able to share the computers or printers, but I recently installed Spector Pro on both of my daughters computers to monitor their activity and installed the Spector Viewer on mine. I would obviously like to use my computer to view the Spector reports on the kids computers rather than having to run up to their computers to see the reports.

I ran the networking wizard, and both of the kids computers see each other but not mine, and when I go to My Network Places on MY computer, I seem to be out of the loop. I was also able to share one daughters printer with the other daughters computer.

The network is definately named the same on all three computers.

I am not sure what else I need to do to get mine tied in with theirs.

Any suggestions, or any other information I should provide you?
    Thanks for your help!!! This forum is fantastic:)

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

From the daughters computer can you ping your own computer? If not then check your Windows Firewall settings if your running SP2. If its enabled disable it and then try and ping.

3. misika

misika Thread Starter

sorry for the delay in getting back to this...

ok, i had disabled the windows firewall. i have norton security, and disabled that to see if it made a difference. didnt seem to.

i did try pinging from my own computer to my daughters, i got a reply.
    i tried pinging from daughters computer to mine and it timed out.

i did a NET VIEW in command prompt from daughters computer to mine and it showed all three computers listed by name.

i did a NETVIEW on my computer, and it says there are no entries in this list.

when i go to Network Places->Entire Network -> Microsoft Network, it lists the network (MSHOME) but when i try to open that there is nothing at all there.

any other suggestions of things i can try?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/354501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice