1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Three Networked Computers, Long Cat5e Run

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Marky64, Nov 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marky64

Marky64 Thread Starter

Hello, I run a business and we have three computers that are networked together and we run a software for our shipping call Desktop Shipper. The shipping software communicates with our order management system and with each other. The issue is that we moved to the second floor and due to configuration of the space we had to run a 250 ft long cat5e line from the Modem to a white box (not a switch) that allows us to split the signal to our three packing stations. The performance issues have been bad, the shipping software gets hung up and doesn't pull the data and just needs to be shut down frequently. I need a quick fix because we are heading into our busy season! Thanks Marky64

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What is the "white box"? If it's not switch is it a hub or a switch? You'll need to look at it and identify it for us. That might be the problem or it's a poorly run/made cable. 250ft is less then the maximum length of 100 meters so length by itself isn't the issue. Is it a quality Ethernet cable or that super cheap and poorly sheilded stuff, was it professionally run, and properly terminated?

3. Marky64

Marky64 Thread Starter

Yes thanks, I do need to fill in a few more details, the "white box" is a netgear 5 port gigabit ethernet switch. The cat5e are top quality pre-made cables that I had to spliced together with an adapter that I bought at hardware store. Hope this helps me get some help!

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So it is a switch after all.

Don't use adapters, throw those out. Buy a single pre-made cable the length you need or call in a professional to run proper cables and add proper jacks. You should also go with CAT6 not CAT5e cable. If this is a business and this is a permanent cable run invest in the money and professionals to do it right the first time rather than deal with ongoing problems.

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I agree with Rob but with one change. If you're having what is called LAN drops put in, I would use at a minimum Cat6a. Cat5e, Cat6, and Cat6a all support 1 Gig. The difference is Cat6a supports 10 Gig at the 100 meter spec everyone is used to with twisted pair copper cabling. Cat6 will support 10 Gig but only at a maximum distance of 55 meters.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!