1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Three problems: "counterfeit", fonts, and background

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ceruleanbabe, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceruleanbabe

ceruleanbabe Thread Starter

So basically I have three problems on my computer.

The first one, I can get used to if need be. All it is is that I can't set my desktop background to a picture, or set of pictures--only solid colors. This whole fiasco started when I got a virus (last year, I think?) and got rid of it.At that time, I had a picture background. Apparently something happened, I have no idea what, and I couldn't change my background from that picture. That was a while ago, back in early '12. This morning, I started up my computer, and it prompted a disk compatibility check (I think that was what it was? It was like 5:30, I was tired, I can't remember sorry) and recovered all these "orphaned files." I don't even know what that means, but I saw a lot of files I recognized (mainly Sims 2 files that had recently disappeared). So I go through that check thing, but when my computer starts up proper. there's no background--just black. So I check the settings on Control Panel, and find that I can change the color, but can't add a picture.
    I don't know if this indicates a larger problem, or if it's just a silly glitch, but it's not all that important.

The second one--there's a little bit of text at the bottom right corner of my desktop. It says:
    Windows 7
    Build 7600
    This copy of Windows is not genuine
    It only popped up recently, maybe two weeks ago. It's not affecting anything else, as far as I can tell, but I don't know if it's important or not.

The third, and the most urgent problem, is with text that's both italicized and bolded.
    It will overlap, run off the page, even disappear at times. The only way I can read it is if I highlight it (which is difficult since my computer doesn't recognize that there's text there at all) and copy-paste it into some text area. I also can't click on any links if they're bolded and italicized. It's incredibly inconvenient and annoying, and I'd like to try to fix it if I could.
    I can't remember when it started. But I'm noticing it more and more and I'm just tired of it. I only use Google Chrome (IE literally crashes my computer when I try to open it) so I'm not sure if it does the same in other browsers.
    [​IMG]

I don't know if this is needed, but I run a 64 bit system with Windows 7 on a Toshiba laptop.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If your Windows 7 is pirated the patches to make it seem legit have now failed.

If your Windows is genuine I think that your hard drive is failing. Run disk check until it stops finding errors. Then reinstall or "recover to factory defaults" Windows.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice