Three Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

melissa75

Hi Guys,
This is Melissa again.I have an Everex Explora and run windows 98.My first problem,as many others are having,I have no sound.Everything in Device Mananger looks good and if I put a CD in it plays fine...but thats it,the little volume symbol on the task bar is even gone.
Problem # 2,my PC does not reconize my camera,I put the USB in the motherboard myself,puter reconized it and I enabled it in BIOS,but still doesn't reconize it.
And last but not least,friends have told me that running my recovery cd might fix both these problems...only I have no disk labeled "Recovery".I have a Windows 98 2nd Addition CD,Max Logic Multimedia World Installation CD,Multimedia Software CD,Cd Pro 1st Mainboard and a 56K PCI HSP Software Modem(V.90 & K56flex Auto Detection)CD.Are any of these the recovery one?Please help,Thanks,Melissa

One problem at a time.

Go to start/settings/control panel/multimedia, is the box checked on the bottom of the tab saying show volume control on taskbar, if not, check it.

If you get the volume control back, double click it, make sure nothing is checked to be muted, also look at the volume levels.

melissa75

I went into multimedia,I saw the "show volume control on the task bar" box but it will not let me check the box...it is shadowed.

Hi,

When you went into "Multimedia", did you select your soundcard from the "Preferred Device" drop down list at the top? If it is set to "Use any available device", then the button will be shadowed out.
Also, does your USB show up in Device Manager? If so, is there an exclamation mark beside it?
Lastly, I believe that only systems that come pre-loaded with a customized version of Windows (OEM), have restore CD's. (ie-DELL, Compaq, etc..).

Good Luck;)

In other words, you only have a "Recovery" or "Restore" CD if Windows came pre-loaded on your computer. Otherwise, I would recommend re-installing windows. However, it might not be that big of a problem. Here is a web-based support guy that I think can help you...

SOS -- Software Operating Solutions

Hope that helps.

melissa75

Hello!!
In multimedia the "use any available" is selected..the other choices are : Game compatiable Device,Voice Modem Wave #00 Line and Voice Modem Wave #00 handset.Which one should I choose??
Thanks,Melissa

melissa75

I forgot to answer your ? about the USB...yes it does show up in Device Manager and it doesn't have a ! next to it.Thanks,Melissa

Hi,

I think that you should re-load the drivers for your sound card. In your first post, you indicated that you have the CD, so that should be pretty straight-forward (go into Device manager, then open up the Sound Card properties, then drivers, then choose Update drivers).
In reference to the Camera, unfortunately, I don't know a great deal about digital cameras. What kind of software did you receive with the camera? You may have to install the software first, then reboot and allow the system to detect it.

Good Luck:)

melissa75

Hi,I did what you said and they are not upgradeable,it says they are running the best version.If I delete them all out can I reinstall them with the CD you mentioned above?And if so which CD would I use for that?Thanks,Melissa

melissa75

Hi,I did what you said and they are not upgradeable,it says they are running the best version.If I delete them all out can I reinstall them with the CD you mentioned above?And if so which CD would I use for that?
Thanks,Melissa
PS. With the camera the only software that came with it is the "Kodak EZ200 camera software".It says "Software version 1.0.1 for windows" on it.

melissa75

I'm becoming a pro at forgeting everything I want to ask you.I also wanted to let you know that I tried download the "Windows Update" It will only download til it shows 21-38 minutes left and then it stops and the numbers(that show what you've gotten so far) start to jitter.I've tried unsuccessfully twice,the second time my screen went blank,ezcept for a small white line in the top right corner.Do you know why it won't download this and how to fix it...maybe??
Thank You,
Melissa

OK,

In response to the sound card issue, you'll have to use the mainboard CD (if the sound is on-board). Try re-installing or removing the sound stuff from Device Manager, then restart, and allow it to detect. Then try any of your CD's (mainboard or multimedia).
You could always try installing the Kodak software, then rebooting, and seeing if you can just startup the program and use it to take pictures. Like I said, I don't know much about it. You might want to create a new post in the Hardware forum. Or you could try directly addressing the issue to one of the more senior forum members, (Rollin' Rog, AcaCandy, and brianF all seem to be pretty knowledgable).
And last but not least, the Windows Update problem. You might want to turn off your screensaver, and close out of any other programs that you have running, prior to doing the update. Also, if you have an Anti-virus program running (ie-Norton or McAfee), then disable it before you do the update.

Hope this helps ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts