1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thumb drive can't be read on PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PE_Mac, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PE_Mac

PE_Mac Thread Starter

I wasn't sure where to put this question.

I have an 8GB SanDisk U3 Cruzer thumb drive. I have always been able to use it on both my Mac and my PC, however after formatting it for a startup disk to install Mavericks on my Mac then reformatting it on the Mac to Fat32 so it should be able to be read on both, the PC does not see it any longer. I can write to and read it on my Mac. I tried to go into Disk Management on my PC, but when I click to format it, it gives the following message:

"An unexpected error has occurred. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. Close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer.

I looked at Event Viewer, which I presume is the same as System Event Log, but don't know what I'm looking at there.

This has happened on both my PC with OS Vista and my laptop with OS Windows 7.

Would appreciate any suggestions on a way to fix this.

This is the TSG log from my Vista PC:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 5886 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9200, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 300999 MB, Free - 176524 MB; D: Total - 192070 MB, Free - 109805 MB; E: Total - 102398 MB, Free - 43669 MB;
    Motherboard: Gateway, FMCP7AM
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Thanks
    PegM

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

3. trogdo

trogdo

Can Mac format a drive in NTFS or FAT? If yes, give it a go. A program for Windows that's worth a try is Rufus, I use it regularly to make bootable flash drives.

Occasions like these is why I have an old laptop with a Linux on; it's a life saver when it comes to different file systems.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you used GPT change that to MBR with Disk Utility on the Mac.

Did you delete all the partitions on the Usb stick, including the EFI first partition ? If not then do that on the Mac then make a single partition for the whole drive and format it Fat 32.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The hp utility works VERY well for just this task. I have used it many many times on usb drives that were used to install linux. It will recover the full size of the drive.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I didn't know the HP utility could cope with GPT and/or EFI.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That may be one of the options [on a linux system at the moment]

Quite often when you make a linux install usb then try and use the usb for something else you get part [or most] of the drive unusable. An 8gig usb drive might end up with 2gig usable after using it for linux.

A simple format with the hp utility restores all of the drive.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice