1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thumb Drive Not Working...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mikoll, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mikoll

Mikoll Thread Starter

I have 2 thumbdrives.... A 2gig Rally2 and a 4gig Sandisk. They both do the same thing.

They ask to format it when I try and access all my important files and I cant get around it.
    I finally decided to format and it always says that the format was unsuccessful.

I haven't used my thumbdrives for over 6 months becuase of that. Any Ideas?

2. Mikoll

Mikoll Thread Starter

Bump, please I need an answer ASAP.

3. Compiler

Compiler

You had put important files on the USB drives? And then they stopped working?

USB port on PC maybe damaged. Try another USB port - like on the BACK of system.

Windows98 or XP or Mac?

Note, a damage USB port can damage USB devices... also try the USB drives on another system if they DON'T work with the rear USB ports.

4. Rrruff

Rrruff

I will try to help... Good luck I don't know TOO much about flash-drives.

Sandisk's are drives I would avoid, in my opinion - Just for a future reference.

First try your drives in another computer and see if it works. Sometimes, if you're lucky, it'll work.

Look for drivers for your drives from the manufacturer; download them if available and try again.

Before you try the formatting bit, try using "undelete or pc inspector smart recovery". They're data recovery programs that have worked in the past for several people I know and myself.

**Warning, this will make you lose all of your data on your flash**

If none of that works try this, you can salvage your flash drive, but none of your files:

Control Panel / Computer Management / Disk Management

Plug in your Flash Drive and it should read it

Right click under YOUR FLASH DRIVE LETTER, NOT YOUR HARDRIVE - This will format it all and you will lose everything on it.

Put your Data back onto your flashdrive and plug it into an XP machine and see if it works.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You don't need any drivers for ME/2K/XP/Vista for USB mass storage, so don't go loading any drivers, you'll only make a bad situation worse. (n)

FWIW, SanDisk is one of the major brands, and I have no issues in recommending their stuff. I've used lots of SanDisk FLASH products, they've always performed well for me.

There's a lesson in here somewhere. You should never put your only copy of an important file on ANY media, since the chance for loss is magnified many times over. One glitch and it's gone! :eek:

Have you tried the FLASH drives on another computer? If they fail there, then it's something on the drive itself.

6. Mikoll

Mikoll Thread Starter

They all do the same thing on different computers. Now it wont even read the drive.

7. JohnWill

Well, other than using Disk Management to format them, you may have killed them.

8. Mikoll

Mikoll Thread Starter

So I wasted like 250 dollars?

9. Compiler

Compiler

I've yet to see a USB drive die (They will not last forever btw) - To damage one:

1 - static discharge
    2 - dropped / shock
    3 - water damage
    4 - Damaged USB port which damages USB drive.

Waste $250? Its a waste if you got product that didn't perform or recieve at all. If you damaged them, you can't blame the manufacture.

They should still be underwarranty - but you lost 6months... try to RMA them.

To replace them NOWADAYS - would cost about $90. (2gb = $30 / 4GB = $60)

PS: I have used 3 differnt Sandisk drives... I don't like them. I liked the SONY and PQI drives I have bought - but I checked the packaging to make sure they are a fast type.

note: Frys sells the 2GB version of PQI for $29... geez, i paid $22 for the 1GB 2 months ago heheh.

10. JohnWill

Gee, I have FLASH drives from 256mb to 4gigs, the most I ever spent on one is around $40. On rebate deals recently, I got a number of 1 and 2 gig FLASH drives for free.

I have to agree with the previous post, try to return them.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice