1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thumbdrive Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dj928, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dj928

dj928 Thread Starter

I have a 64MB thumbdrive that I can't remember the manufacturer of. I'm running into a strange situation and was told to post it here. Here is the situation:

1. It works fine on my work laptop USB ports. Computer is about a year or two old.
    2. It works fine on the rear USB ports of my desktop. It does not work on the front USB ports, however. Computer is a month old.
    3. It does not work on my personal laptop USB ports. This computer is a few months old.

The error messages I get for the front desktop ports and my personal laptop are identical. It either says I need to format the drive or says I need to insert a disk.

All computers are running XP. One person told me it might be the power going to the USB ports on my computers - not enough power. But, I'm not so sure of that considering the above.

I personally think it might be a configuration issue in the computers themselves and the ports having problems, but I don't know enough about this to figure it out.

Thanks.
    Dave

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice