1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thumbnail View for Upload

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bodark, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bodark

Bodark Thread Starter

I've got Windows Explorer (in Windows XP) set to open all folders containing photos with a thumbnail view. This works fine. If I upload a photo from My Documents in my account, the upload dialog box opens with a thumbnail view. However, if I upload a photo from My Documents in my wife's account or if I upload from our external HD, the dialog always opens in a list view. The view setting must be changed to thumbnail. I've wasted hours playing with various folder views. Is there a way to get all upload dialogs to open with thumbnails?

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Open My Computer or My Documents. Select Folder Options. Under the View tab, make sure the "Remember each folder's view settings" box is checked.

[​IMG]

3. Bodark

Bodark Thread Starter

The remember box was already checked. Just for grins I unchecked, applied, then went back and checked and applied again. This keeps the folder views in Explorer the way I want them, but seems to have no effect on my Save As and Upload dialog boxes which still insist upon opening with a list view.

4. Phantom010

5. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Bodark, Try line 2 (left column) "Increase Folder View Size Limit to 8000". Just click it to download the reg file. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. After the import is successful, reboot your computer.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf

6. Phantom010

This does the same thing.

7. Bodark

Bodark Thread Starter

Thanks for trying, but I'm not having a problem with folder views per se. I'm having "problem" with Save As and File Upload boxes. After Googling around for about three hours and finding several answers that almost fit my situation, I have come to the following conclusions:

1.) Folder views do not effect the view in Save As and File Upload boxes.
    2.) In XP Save As and File Upload boxes open with thumbnails in My Pictures and only My Pictures.
    3. In all other folders, Save As and File Upload boxes open in a list view.

That's the way XP works by default. Someone who knows a lot more than I do might be able to change the default behavior, but I wouldn't know where to begin. I reckon I'll just have to keep manually changing the views once the boxes open.

8. Phantom010

Did you try any of the suggestions above?

9. Bodark

Bodark Thread Starter

Yes, I tried all of the procedures given. Folder views themselves are working fine and settings are being remembered. I didn't make the registry edit because both the article itself and the MS article it linked said Windows XP SP2 increases the Bag value to 5000. Since I have SP-2 installed, the registry edit seem unnecessary.

10. Phantom010

Increase it to 8000.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!