1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thumbnail view popup description

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rome75, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rome75

rome75 Thread Starter

Up til recently, when I'm in Windows Explorer and looking at files in Thumbnail View, I hover the mouse over the file and a pop up window appears showing the Type, the Size, and the Date the file was created. For some reason now, only the Type and the Size show, but not the Date! Is there some way to fix?

2. huggie54

huggie54

have you tried ending the explorer process then typing it back in new task in task manager

3. rome75

rome75 Thread Starter

sorry...I don't understand everything after "have you tried" What is "explorer process?" what is "new task?" what is "task manager?"

4. huggie54

huggie54

if you press Ctrl+Alt+Del it will bring the Task Manager utility onto your desktop,click on the processes tab,scroll down to and select explorer.exe and click on end process button,go up to and click the File tab,new task and type explorer.exe in the box.reboot your computer

5. rome75

rome75 Thread Starter

the above process did not work

6. huggie54

huggie54

When you chose "View" - "Details" from within a folder in Windows XP Explorer, columns are shown that Windows XP thinks are the most useful for said folder. For example:

* For file folders, these are usually Name, Size, Type, and Date Modified.

7. rome75

rome75 Thread Starter

how does this info help me in Thumbnail view? I need to see Name Size Type and Date in THUMBNAIL view

8. rome75

rome75 Thread Starter

and yes, I already know about right clicking in Thumbnail view and going to Properties. I wanna see the info when my mouse hovers over the file

9. moper

moper

Are you talking about Image files. Jpg, Bmp, Gif, Tif.
    The infotip is different for each file type.

If you are viewing 'Image' file , check this key in your registry: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image

What is the 'Data' for 'Info Tip'?

moper

10. rome75

rome75 Thread Starter

good question....intially I was just looking at Excel and Word files, but since you brought up image files, I decided to check some out as well. Whats strange is that most image files will show only Dimensions, Type, Size. But I found one file that shows Date Picture Taken, Camera model, Dimensions, Type, Size! I'm not sure how to get to this "registry" that you speak of.

11. moper

moper

For Image files, that is normal. It may not show some things, depending on where the file came from. The file has to contain Exif information to show some of the info. That would be files from a digital camera, that still have the Exif data intact.

As far as Word and Excel files, I can't be much help because I don't have either. If you are viewing these files within the program, some programs, in the preferences, allow you to select what you want to show in the InfoTip. I don't know if Word does.

For viewing in Windows Explorer, it would depend on the 'Percieved Type', for each file extension, then editing the Data for InfoTip.
    These would be found in the HKCR section of the registry, but can get quite complicated. I don't advise going in there, if you are not familier with it.

moper

12. rome75

rome75 Thread Starter

thx for the tips moper. It's no big deal...I just thought it was something that could be a quick fix...

13. moper

moper

Don't Word and Excel have a Repair option in Add-Remove Programs?
    That might reset it.

moper

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!