1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thumbnails view option eliminated for video files in Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hhannam, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    I have a desktop with Windows XP Pro SP3, and a netbook with Windows 7 Home edition SP1. It appears that the "Thumbnails" (picture) option has been eliminated from the video files "View" menu options, so I can no longer see a pictorial snapshot of the contents of my video files.

Is this option completely eliminated or is there something I can do to retrieve this feature for Windows 7?

2. Lance1

Lance1

Right click the folder in question, click Properties \ Customize. Under Optimize This Folder For: Select Video. Now check the box (Also apply this template to all subfolders) Click apply and OK.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I haven't done anything special and see my attachment. That's with View - Large icons. Same with Medium icons and Extra Large icons, but not with small icons. What view are you using?

Attached Files:

4. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    When I click on on Properties (at the bottom of the right-click menu), I do not get anything which states, "Customize", so I cannot proceed with the rest of your suggestion.

I have to admit that I could have done a much better job at stating my question, so let me restate it for clarity's sake.

When I go to the videos folder in Windows 7, and click on the "View" tab located on the menu bar, I get a menu list of options. In one of the segments of the menu list For Windows 7 the first four options are icons (small thru extra large)...followed by List, Details. Tiles, and Content. In XP the same segment of the View menu of options was as follows; Thumbnails, Tiles, icons, List, Details. In other words, "Thumbnails" (a snapshot picture contained within any video file) is not offered as a view menu option as it was in Windows XP.. I'm trying to find out if there's any way to restore that option in Windows 7, or is it just gone.

I hope I was a bit clearer this time around, If not, let me know and I'll try to get it even more comprehensible.

5. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    My reply to Lance1 should also answer your question. Thanks for your interest.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You will not get the Customize if you are right clicking on the "My Videos" folder under the Videos library in the Navigation Pane or in the Videos Library. But you will if you right click on C:\Users\<account name>\My Videos. Don't ask me to explain; I just experimented and discovered. :)

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry, I didn't see the answer to "What view are you using?".

And, I'll ask another one: have you tried Extra large icons or Large icons or Medium icons?

8. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    I've looked at all the view options thoroughly and none of them offer thumbnail pictures of the file contents.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And you've now found the "Customize" and have it set for Videos or Pictures, right?

Found something else that may be relevant (see attachment). Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab - if the 1st or 3rd item is set differently from the default (shown) maybe thumbnails would be suppressed.

Attached Files:

10. Lance1

Lance1

In any case you will still have the option to Optimize This Library to Video in Library's and Customize in the in the default user folder on the desktop.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    TO: TerryNet and Lance1

Sorry, I'm even having difficulty now getting this reply posted. Anyhow, neither setting the optimization to video, nor checking or un-checking the folder options relating to the thumbnails and icons had any effect(s).

Ironically, in experimenting around I was somehow able to get a picture loaded into the icon area of all the video folders of my library,but it was a picture from one of my picture folders, and now I don't know how to get rid of it....you're right TerryNet.....there is no limit to (my) stupidity...ha.

In any case, I'm seeking pictures for the video folders or files that are extracted from within that folder or file, just as was done in Windows XP when the view was set to "Thumbnails". It's looking more and more like this option was just removed from Windows 7 altogether.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm sorry that I apparently implied stupidity. I did not mean to. Apparently there is something strange happening on your system, and so far we have not been able to determine what. Thumbnails for pictures and videos "just happen" (are the default) with Windows 7--see my post # 3 attachment; you need not ask for them as with XP. Lance and I have been trying to find options that may have been changed to make the thumbnails disappear.

Do you mean like in my attachment below? If so, my experience has been that kind of pic will show up most times and be from a picture or video in the folder. If the folder is emptied the pic goes away after the system is restarted N times (I haven't bothered to see what N is or if it is random). I do not know if you can specify for a picture to appear or not.

Attached Files:

13. Lance1

Lance1

Please take a screenshot of the properties of the video folder and upload it here. Just like my post #10 TSG Posting a Screenshot

14. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    Now I owe you an apology. When I made the wisecrack about my stupidity it was only because I was feeling rather stupid for all the blunders I was making, and I mistakenly thought it was your signature that had the profound but humorous remark about the difference between genius and stupidity, but it was Lance's signature, not yours, that I borrowed on. So, I was not offended at all by anything you had said.....just my own behavior.

As for your comments about thumbnails being the default setting in Windows 7, I did take another look at your earlier attachment and yes, that is what I'm looking for. What puzzles me, however, is that if it is the default setting in your Windows 7 edition, then I'd like you to look at your "View" menu and see if the thumbnails option is listed, along with the other options. It is not listed in mine. The reason that concerns me is that if it is the default, and you selected another option from the view menu, then "thumbnails" would have to be listed on the menu in order to retrieve it after a change to another view.

With regard to my comment about inadvertently coming up with a picture in my folders, I did previously mention that it was a picture from within one of my pic folders, but it was the same pic for all my folders, and not a pic from within each of the folders. I should also comment that it was displayed only on folders, not any individual file.

15. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    Please let me know if you wanted something different.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!