1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thunderbird Calendar Password Retention

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by PatP3005, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PatP3005

PatP3005 Thread Starter

I'm posting in this forum hoping I'm in the right place.

I've recently (last day or two) been repeatedly asked by Thunderbird to provide my password to access my Gmail calendars. I'm not aware of having changed anything so I'm a little puzzled. I enter the password, the request pops up again, I re-enter the password, it pops up again, etc. It won't retain it.

I don't know how to tell you what version I'm using. Help>About says I'm using Thunderbird 14. This puzzles me a little too because I see so many posts referring to Thunderbird 3. Have there been that many releases or am I missing something?

So, two questions: Any suggestions on the password issue? And is Thunderbird 14 really the version I'm using?

BTW, this machine is Vista. But I'm having the same issue on Win7.

Thanks!

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

same problem on two different machines

I would check the account settings - for password type - under server settings
    are you using imap or pop to connect to gmail

latest version of thunderbird and updates - show as 14 (at least on my PC they are)

3. PatP3005

PatP3005 Thread Starter

I'm using IMAP. (sorry, always forget to mention that)

I checked my settings and it is set to Connection security: SSL/TLS; Authentication method: Normal password.

The pop-up I'm getting says: "Authentication Required: A username and password are being requested by https://www.google.com. The site says: "Google CalDAV"." Fields are there for User Name and Password, which I enter. There is a box below that saying "Use Password Manager to remember this password." I've tried checking that box and leaving it unchecked. Doesn't seem to matter.

Wondering if I should abandon my attempts to use Lightning? This from Google Calendar Help:

I've read that Sunbird has been abandoned, so any thoughts on if I should pursue this?

4. life036

life036

This is happening to all users in my organization as well, Mac and Win platforms. As far as I can tell, it just happens with Thunderbird v14 and Lightning v1.6.

The problem seems to be that Tbird is not remembering CalDAV passwords. I can't tell whether this is a Tbird problem or a Lightning problem, though.

I can't stand Mozilla's half-assed rapid-release schedule. It's like we're guinea pigs for their crappy beta software.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1064858