1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thunderbird can't access Gmail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by crcook84, Dec 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

I'm posting this here because I think this is a security issue.

I decided to archive all my Gmail messages by downloading them to my computer via Thunderbird. However, after I installed the program and entered in my account information (it even seemed to auto configure properly), the message I get is “Configuration could not be verified – in the username or password wrong?” I found some information that, with changes to Gmail, only a specific version of Thunderbird going forward would work. I downloaded the latest one. When looking into Google security, there is a new permission page setup that you have to give permission to Android apps so that they can be allowed to access your account information. However, I don’t know how to give Thunderbird permission.

Is there a way to give Thunderbird permission to access your Gmail?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In Gmail's web mail access: Settings - Settings - Forward and POP/IMAP. See attachment.

Capture.PNG

3. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

I did that. This is what resulted:
    Capture.PNG
    (I blanked out the spaces where the important stuff goes. Needless to say, it's the same login info I use when logging into Google.)

4. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

Also, forgot to add that this is the message I get from Google each time I try logging in with Thunderbird:
    Capture_2.PNG

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I notice that your screen shot in post # 3 shows "SSL" for the connection security, but it is supposed to be "TLS/SSL" (or "SSL/TLS"). Maybe try the "Manual config" and see if you can get it to work.

I use IMAP, and set it up manually long before this automatic configuration came along. My connection security is shown in Thunderbird as "SSL/TLS."

6. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

The info was shortened. It was using SSL/TLS:
    Capture_3.PNG

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry, don't know what's going wrong. :(

8. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

I think that, with the new security, I need to give Thunderbird permission to access my Gmail account. Unfortunately, because most of the permissions are related to apps, I don't know how to give it to a POP connection.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think on the gmail Settings page there is an "Apply" at the bottom; if so, you need to click that after enabling POP.

10. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

I was able to finalize the settings in Thunderbird so that my account information would, at least, be applied s otaht I didn't have to keep on re-entering it. After closing and reopening Thunderbird, this is what I got: Capture_4.PNG

11. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So you've solved it now?

13. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

Ya, it's working. I'm able to download messages to my computer. You know, as much as these new security features Google implements are nice to have, they just apply them and we, as the user, then get to go and try to find the new settings and tweak them so that they'll work with what we were already using.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes. :(

Glad you found the cause and the fix.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1162086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice