Thunderbird checks for messages of deleted account

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Yup

I removed two e-mail accounts from Thunderbird, one right after the other. Both were set to automatically check for messages.

Thunderbird insists on continuing to check for the first one deleted. Since the account now exists on another location to which I have no access, it keeps coming up with an error message, which I must respond to - every ten minutes. But, I can't stop it because it no longer shows up as an account.

How can I resolve this?

Have you restarted Thunderbird or your computer after deleting the accounts?

Yup

Yes, I did both before asking for help. It made no difference.

Is there ant error messages in the "Error Console" (Tools > Error Console)?
Please paste a screenshot

Yup

Hi, Hi-Tech.

The error message reads: Authentication failed. Please check your user name and password for the account [email protected].

The error console message reads: pop.1and1.co.uk : potentially vulnerable to CVE-2009-3555

To put this in perspective, The domain name was transferred and is now hosted on another server. The 1and1 server is aware that it's not responsible for e-mail for the domain, so is refusing the connection, though technically, the account still exists.

How did you delete the accounts?
Could you paste a screenshot of your account settings page?

Yup

I selected the first line of one, then clicked on the Account Actions button. In the menu, I selected Remove Account. When it was done, I repeated the process for a second e-mail account. The one that's causing a problem is the first account I deleted.

Neither of the accounts shows up in the Account Settings window.

I would prefer not to give you a screenshot. I have several e-mail accounts and do not wish to make them public. But, there is nothing to see there now regarding either account. They're gone - except that Thunderbird continues to check for e-mail on one of them.

Do you know what file Thunderbird keeps e-mail account info in? I could probably edit it to resolve the problem.

I understand!
May I know your Operating System so that I could lead you to the folder where the info is and you can delete the sub-folders of the deleted account/s.

Yup

Thanks for understanding. The OS is Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I had little choice because I use a program that's Windows-based and necessary for some of my work, and have more RAM than 32-bit can support.

Most likely you will find the accounts folders here.
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\<xxxxxxxx.default.>\Mail\
Delete the sub-folders of the deleted account/s.

Let me know if you don't have the roaming folder.

Yup

Well...I'm there and have dug around, but haven't been able to figure it out.

I've looked into each of the files, and can't see anything in any of them that could be related to this problem - at least, not that I can find.

I can see several folders, each labeled pop.1and1.co.uk, pop.1and1.co-1.uk, pop.1and1.co-2.uk,...pop.1and1.co-8.uk. Those aren't the names of the accounts, but they do correspond to the number of e-mail accounts after the deletion I did.

I've experimented by deleting all of them, then restarting Thunderbird. They're all recreated. (Not to worry, I copied them elsewhere before deleting.)

It seems that the file that needs to be changed must be elsewhere.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online