1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thunderbird email font sizes screwed up

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Wildflecken, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wildflecken

Wildflecken Thread Starter

I am using Windows 7 and Thunderbird 16.0.2 and when composing an email response the font size is all over the map. It can start at one size and change to another smaller one in the same email. Usually when starting a new sentence with the traditional 2 spaces from the preceding sentence. I have tried every setting I can find. This has been going on for over a year (preceding Win 7).. is it still a bug in T Bird?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it's a bug in Thunderbird it doesn't impact everybody. I've never encountered it. (And I've used Thunderbird for years and am now on 17.0.)

You can increase the font size by <CTRL> + <+> or <CTRL> + <=> and decrease it by <CTRL> + <->. Any possibility that you are inadvertently hitting those key combinations? Or have a rogue keyboard?

3. Wildflecken

Unless I am going senile, which may be likely as I am 78 and been working with hardware and software since computers ran off wood fires, I have checked the control ++ / -- to see if I had done something there but doesn't seem to be that. Here is a cut and paste of a sentence " but not so small that I feel closed in. I did have it"

I have used T Bird for a lot of years and this surfaced sometime back. I just decided to revisit the issue and ended up here with you. I have reinstalled T Bird once or twice and I would rather cut my wrists than go thru that again as I loose something everytime. It baffles me as it almost seems like T Bird ignores my default composition settings. Note word "almost". Yet everything else works fine. I guess it is something I just live with and manually mark text email and adjust font size when I can hardly read it (tiny fonts). Oh and that is what it always does... revert to tiny font. Never larger. I have not investigated that but am guessing that table for font size starts with smallest font size and that is where it defaults too. Thanks for your reply. Len

4. Wildflecken

Hmmm, just notice some similiar in my last posting. I did have to reset the font size after the pasted sentence piece as the font size carried over from the pasted piece with my sentence following it. Happening here now makes me think maybe there is a cache issue here???? Don't know but will poke at that.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    :D Ya got me beat. Computers were already running on coal when I started. :)

Hmmm. If you click on Format and hover over Size you will see that the smallest size is listed first. And, while you can hardly be doing this by accident, <ALT> + o following by z and then m will result in the smallest font size.

Wish I could think of something more helpful.

6. Wildflecken

Thanks for your input regardless of outcome. I am not going to loose any sleep over it. Spent too much of my life seeing the same things happening over and over as younger guys learned "tried that, didn't work". One day out of the blue this "bug" or "annoyance" will go away ... maybe. lol Or of course a light bulb will finally light and I figure it out when I get really annoyed again...

Thanks for your reply.. Len

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

8. hewee

hewee

If you copy text from the web the rich text or html can get screwy and copy over coding that you can't see and your see odd effects.

Go to an newer "Community Forum Software by IP.Board" and copy and paste from some place else and your see it do odd things at times also.

If your computer is acting up then clear the cache and if that does not work reboot to see if that clears any bug.

9. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

It sounds like a long-standing bug in the editor.
    Sometimes you can work around it by simply hitting the Enter key before starting to compose the message.
    Another alternative can be found HERE.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1079070

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice