1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thunderbird filters don't run

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by JohnWill, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator Thread Starter

Anyone got any ideas on why my Thunderbird email filters don't always run automatically? I can select the account and filter and run it manually, and it works properly. They're all selected to run automatically, and they were working. I don't recall changing anything, and I don't see any settings that might screw them up.

2. hewee

hewee

What has that got to do with what John asked?

Your spamming the site with the very same post and so far I see 38 post that are the same and your account will bw deleted for spamming KniteWriter.

3. hewee

hewee

Good he is banned now after 55 or so post and all post deleted.

I just started the filter on Thunderbird and only have the one filter and so far it has all worked for me.
    I don't even know how to filter it manually. To me manually is moving the files.

4. JohnWill

It may be the number of accounts or number of filters. Some of them work, some of them don't. And it doesn't seem to be consistent. The funny part is, if I go Tools, Message Filters, then pick the account, I can run the filter that's there and it works properly. I don't see any other configuration that would affect filters...

Attached Files:

5. hewee

hewee

Only the one filter I made like I said and that is from another forum and the "Subject is always the same so I used that and then checked enabled.
    So is hitting the "run now" button the way you manually do it?

Now if you go to tools, run filters on folders is that just doing it manually too?

Ok I do see something from you image. At the top where it says filter for you have techguy in the box.
    On mine I have my email account one showing up. So maybe that is why but I am new at using filters and having just the one and also this ISP address is not used much so I don't get much mail in it and no spam.

But here is what mine looks like and your see where I edit out my email address. So it knows that it is my email accout and then it downloads loads it to the inbox. But after adding the filter it moves the email to the comcast folder.

Attached Files:

6. JohnWill

Note that many of the accounts have the filters working normally, so I think it's more complicated than simply a configuration issue. ;)

7. hewee

hewee

Well if it's complicated then what would I know. :p

Really like I said I have only started even using a filter and have just the one.
    I even tried to get a filter to show up with a name like you have in the dropdown box but only have the ISP address and local folder show up.
    Have you clicked Edit and checked that the setting are right? I know you can do it manually so would say the setting are ok.

But maybe delete the new filter that is not working right and then close down thunderbird and open it up again and make up the filter again. Just may be a bug and redoing it all from the start may fix things but don't forget to close down thunderbird first after deleting the filter and add it back after you open it again.

8. JohnWill

Obviously, TB has been closed many times, and I've gone so far as to totally recreate the filter.

I'm pretty convinced it's a bug, and it's not going away by redoing the filter or rebooting the system.

9. hewee

hewee

Ok what version of Thunderbird do you have?
    I got Version 1.5.0.9

10. Augie65

Augie65

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541886