Thunderbird: how to compress images for email

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bj nick

I used to use this all the time, can't remember how (I seem to recall an automatic message would come up asking if I wanted to compress the image, otherwise it was too big.) Please remind me how to do this (in this case, attaching images inline, not as attachments.)

bj nick

Well, there's like eight images, I was pretty sure it's easy to batch compress them, isn't it? I mean, figuring four or five seconds per image, we're talking easily 40 seconds saved here. :)

Last edited:

bj nick

Thanks for these, I checked them out. I would prefer not to use attachments; I want the images INLINE; right on the page. This is for purposes of selling an expensive musical instrument.....the party I'm sending it to will pass it on to those interested. I want them to open the email and bang--there are the images.....not have to double click on a bunch of files. So.....not sure how to do this easily (automatically?)

bj nick

I just wound up opening/saving all images w/Paint......so it's done. But I'd sure like to know how to do it for another time. Attachments: no problem. I guess the issue is sending images inline. btw: I downloaded Shrunked, but it's not great for inline; fine for attachments. Auto Resize Images is not compatible with my current TB.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I ignore the Thunderbird messages for compressing images. It's not TB that has the limitation, it's typically the mail server that is receiving the message. I've sent 100mb files with TB, and as long as the receiving email server doesn't choke on it, they go fine.

bj nick

Again, as I've said a couple times, I'm not talking about attaching images, I wanted the images in the message itself. So as I mentioned, there were six of them and I just did it brute force: opened them in Paint, reduced their size and that's it. So I will mark this resolved, and I thank people for responding.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Whether they're attached or embedded, it makes no difference to the receiving email server, they still count in the size.

bj nick

Yes, I understand, but with attachments it automatically asks you if you want to reduce the size, whereas embedding them, I wouldn't get the easy option where it will simply and quickly reduce the size. In my case, I want to send a few images to a specific person who will then send out this message to interested people. Selling a musical instrument. I obviously wanted to avoid them having to send out huge, bloated emails rather than simple images which are what's called for here.

Last edited:

plodr

Liz
Depending on the email address of the receiving party, inline images don't always show.
I know I got an email yesterday with inline images, none of which showed even though inline images are supposed to show. <sigh>
I asked the person not to send me emails with inline images to that email address. Rather than fool around with each image to get it to show, I forwarded the email to another one of my email addresses and saw everything.

bj nick

That's interesting, but with many different email programs and connection speeds and whatnot, I'm not surprised people get email appearing differently. It's definitely something that one needs to keep in mind when sending something. One of the reasons that font defaults/preferences can be an issue, right? Text/formatting doesn't always appear the same? I know that when I was exploring sending written work to agents, I was given strict guidelines as to the safest way to send things ('paste without formatting to strip out the formatting' etc.)

bj nick

Oh, and just to add: some people (such as literary agents in my case) are very clear in their guidelines that they will not open any attachment (or click on any link), for security reasons .

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!