Solved Thunderbird login problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fredbare50

Hi, I cannot log in to thunderbird, I have gone into the security tab and deleted the existing password, which was the one I was trying to log in with. It asks for a new password, that I put in and tick the box to save it in password manager. I have followed instructions in the Thunderbird forum and from Google searches. It is an Outlook.com account.
There is also a problem I have when logging into my Microsoft account, everytime I have to reset my password.
I use a paid version of Bitdefender.

fredbare50

Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp-mail.outlook.com timed out. Try again.

This message pops up when I follow all of the steps in the insructions to reset the password.

Try typing your password into Notepad, is it showing up correctly ? Maybe something wrong with your keyboard.

DaveA

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
David
Can you log into your account when you go to Outlook.com using your browser?

fredbare50

Nothing wrong with the keyboard, I have used my old one and a new one I purchased yesterday.
I have managed to get into my online Outlook account, would it maybe a good idea to uninstal Thunderbird and start again?

DaveA

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
David
The password used online, is it the new one?

fredbare50

I have tried a new one as well as old one, should I be using the one I use to log in to Outlook on line.
If I uninstal Thunderbird, what happens to tho entries in my address book?

DaveA

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
David
YES, the one used at Outlook.com is the only valid one.
Remember that the password is controlled at the email server level.

I know nothing about Thunderbird.

fredbare50

I can log in to my outlook emails on line, but when I use the same password in Thunderbird it will not connect.

fredbare50

I have found the fix, switched off 2 step authentication for my Microsoft account, now all good.

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
the 2 step authentication most likely needed you to use a separate password for Thunderbird. I would recommend using it for security

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online