Thunderbird mail pages very busy and crowded

Nelli0

I've just downloaded Thunderbird, a brand new version of the one I was using pre Win10. What a busy page it is! All I want to see is which emails have arrived and then be able to read them easily. Can someone tell me how to set TB as it used to be? Alternatively, remove the annoying Choose what to set up pane. I don't need all that stuff, I just want to read my mail. I looked at the Start page, thought I'd change it, but wasn't able to. I'd like some help please!

TerryNet

Terry
Can someone tell me how to set TB as it used to be?
Maybe, if you tell us how it used to be for you.

The "secret" is to use the various options/choices in the View menu to find a configuration you like or can live with.

Nelli0

Thank you, Terry, and I'm sorry I didn't explain more fully. Please bear with me I'm an ancient crone!
Pre Win10 TB used to open with the addresses and connected folders on the left. This is still does in a slightly different way with the file labels, eg bin, junk etc showing first. Maybe I can get used to that though I suppose I could widen the margins but I'm so used to see the labels after the address folder. However, the received email is half way down after the list of incoming mail. I only have a small laptop so I need to change the font which is not what I have set. It seems that by messing around yesterday I've got the page to appear sort of like it did before but can't change the font in incoming mail. How do I do that please?
I have also been trying to re-arrange the mail addresses and folders but cannot. I've come across an add-on but though I've tried to change the order it isn't happening. Do I need to restart?
I'm sorry this is such a ramble - unfortunately old women do this! :(

Last edited:

TerryNet

Terry
change the font in incoming mail. How do I do that please?
I don't know. Under Tools - Options - Display there is a default font and size, but I do not know to what section(s) that applies.

Usually I just accept whatever size is there. Other times I use View - Zoom - .... to increase or decrease. Can also use CTRL and + to increase or CTRL and - to decrease.

trying to re-arrange the mail addresses and folders but cannot.
Not sure what you mean here. If you mean the order that folders are displayed I don't know if there is any way to control that. I mark a few 'favorite' and only have Inbox and Sent showing (View - Folders - ...) most of the time so for me the order is unimportant.

However, the received email is half way down after the list of incoming mail. I only have a small laptop so I need to change the font which is not what I have set.
Try this.................

Tools > Options > General > Language & Appearance > Advanced > and under Font Control there are two settings, either Uncheck one or both. See if that makes a difference. I think this is for incoming mail.

I believe the default setting is both checked.

Last edited:

TerryNet

Terry
However, the received email is half way down after the list of incoming mail.
If I understand what you mean, you can hover your mouse pointer on the line between those windows and move it up or down. Moving it up means you won't see as many headers at a time but will have more space for the displayed message.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts