1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thunderbird - Reinstall backed up profiles

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Lee Lewis, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lee Lewis

Lee Lewis Thread Starter

First Name:
    Z.
    Hello, I am missing the Draft and Sent Items folder from Thunderbird 38.2.0.
    I backed up the Profile folders before taking it to computer repair place for a c: drive formatting on my Windows 7, five year old Samsung notebook. Whether it was a somewhat earlier version of TB, I do not know.

Somehow I reloaded the intact Inbox back into each of my 3 email (POP mail server) accounts, but wasn't as lucky with retrieving the other folders, or even consistency in what (empty) folders made it back, and why those that /were/ populated only had a fraction of the number (of sporadically-dated) messages, compared to the hundreds of messages that were in the folders originally. Looks like this:

Account A has Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Archives, Trash
    Account B has Inbox, Junk, Trash
    Account C has Inbox, Sent, Trash

View > Folders is set to All.
    Account Settings > Copies & Folders match their, respective, Account Names.

Lastly, I can live with having lost the (pre-formatting) message content, but really need to have the folders, at least, in going forward.

If you can answer, kindly provide step - by - step instructions, as my skill level is only Intermediate.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I would suspect your backup was corrupt or not complete.

You obviously know the restore process as you have some of the folders. There aren't any options in the restore process to choose individual files or folders. As far as I know it's all of nothing. The only real options to control the files and folders are in the backup process.

3. Lee Lewis

Lee Lewis Thread Starter

First Name:
    Z.
    Jim, My 'Restore' was a case of having a little knowledge--enough to be dangerous. Do the 2 pref.js files on the C:\ drive represent 2 folders in 1 account, or 2 accounts including all Their folders?
    Would you kindly outline the Restore process, or point in right direction? Thanks, Z.

Attached Files:

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I've not used Thunderbird. I would suspect each file is a different backup, and not one file for each folder. Most software that creates backups, creates a single file which includes all of the items that you selected to be backed up.

The process would depend on how you created the backup in the first place. But generally, you just select the restore option and select the file. By default, the restore would replace everything that is in the backup file.

5. Lee Lewis

Lee Lewis Thread Starter

First Name:
    Z.
    Meant to say, 'Thanks."

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1154679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice