1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thunderbird to Gmail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by sunnah, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sunnah

sunnah Thread Starter

My HD crashed but I was able to grab the /Thunderbird folder before it was totally in accessible. I would like to know how I can use Gmail to import/export all my Thunderbird mail, files and folders. I have seen solutions for Thunderbird software working but I have not come across a solution which allows to restore from the files directly. Please help. :(

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Hi Sunnah,

Could you, provide a little more information of what exactly you have?
    Did you manage to save the ENTIRE Profile folder?
    Do you currently have TB set up and your Account working (sending and receiving)?
    Do you just want to get your old mail into it or do you need to clone the old Profile in it's entirety (assuming you saved it) ?

T.:)

3. sunnah

sunnah Thread Starter

Sorry I was out most of the day.... I do have the entire Thunderbird directory saved out. I reinstalled Win7 temporary to get Thunderbird working. I was trying to copy over my old folders to the new installation location of Thunderbird but it is not picking all the settings. Ultimately, I was to get my Thunderbird mail, fils, address book, and folders with emails up to my Gmail account. I do have a new installation of Thunderbird but it is not sending and receiving right now. I want to clone it and send to Gmail. Then I will wipe my Windows machine clean and use it as a back up computer.

4. sunnah

sunnah Thread Starter

I just created new instance of Thunderbird working on the Windows machine. I think I have to create a Gmail IMAP and somehow gegt my old mail and folders in it to upload it. Right?

5. sunnah

sunnah Thread Starter

I now have Gmail IMAP working on Thunderbird. Still need to get my previous stuff uploaded.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Then just copy the e-mails to your Gmail account.

7. sunnah

sunnah Thread Starter

It is not working. I have been trying many ways to copy all the old mail files to the IMAP location of GMAIL but they keep getting deleted. I am trying to copy them to the default account but nothing is working so far.

8. sunnah

sunnah Thread Starter

Got one more set further. I changed my host account to POP and now I can see the mail I moved. So I have my host as default and set to POP. I have my gmail to IMAP. I need to get my mail to GMAIL IMAP.

9. sunnah

sunnah Thread Starter

Update: Just noticed even though I can see the folders and the mail I cannot view the mail once it is opened. I get a pop in Thunderbird saying the mail server is not an IMAP4 server :(

10. sunnah

sunnah Thread Starter

Update: I finally got it to work. I deleted the default account and created a new POP as a default. Copied all my old folders and files form the old profile folder to the new location equivalent. It is a bit different as the one I just downloaded is a recent version. I am coping my folders one by one from the old POP to the GMAIL IMAP. They seem to be coping when I check GMAIL online. I hope this is it. If not I will post again. And I apologize for all the posts but I wanted to document my struggles in hopes to help others.

11. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Hi Sunnah,
    Looks like you got it figured out before I got back to you.
    That's all a clone is. Simply replace the CONTENTS of the new install's Profile folder with the CONTENTS of the old Profile.

I'm wondering why you don't put the old Profile on a flash or burn it to CD, then just clone it to your new machine when you get done setting it up?

12. sunnah

sunnah Thread Starter

@Throoper: I was trying but I could not figure out why it was not displaying. It is almost done now. The only thing left is to do a similar process which all the Thunderbird contacts to send to GMAIL contacts :) Any ideas?

13. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

The only good way I know is to Export your contacts to a csv and then Import it to G-Mail contacts.

You could take a look at this extension for syncing. I've never used it, but it has decent reviews.
    http://www.zindus.com/faq-thunderbird-google/

If you are using TB on your new computer and just want to bring in the Address Books to the new install (don't need the contacts at G-mail), you can simply swap out the MAB files.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1051091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice