1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Thunderbird will not print

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Alex Ethridge, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

This problem is not related to the printing problem I first reported a couple or three of days ago, different computer, different network, different location miles apart. AND, not an HP computer.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit on MSI Z97 Gaming 3 Main Board with Intel i7-4790K 4GHz. I built this system, myself, about 6 years ago and this is the first time since 2017 I have had this problem.

Thunderbird will not print to printer or to PDF. The last time this happened was a couple of years ago. At that time, it was "a known problem" and Mozilla was "working on a fix"; but, this time I see no reports of a Thunderbird problem. Thunderbird nor Windows reports errors.

The only way I can print an e-mail is to save the e-mail as HTML, then print the HTML from a browser.

To be clear, all other programs print normally.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If a problem like this is only affecting a single application, then my usual suggestion is to uninstall, reboot, and then reinstall the application.

3. Alex Ethridge

Did that already, then uninstalled and reinstalled a previous version, then uninstalled and reinstalled version 52 from way, way back. Still, no effect. So I went back to the current version and installed directly from the Mozilla site.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    When you select print, is your printer actually listed in the "Printer name" box?

5. Alex Ethridge

Yes and it is set as default. Be aware it will not print to PDF either. Also, when I tell it to print to PDF, it doesn't even create a blank PDF file.

The paper printer doesn't spit out any paper either.

No error messages.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    IF, it's actually printing, which I doubt, you will see the document in the printer print queue.

PDF isn't a standard "print" option (unless it's unique to Thunderbird). You would need to install a program which adds itself to the "print" menu or save to PDF (at least in my experience).

In any case, I've not used Thunderbird, but it doesn't sound like it is actually "printing". Assuming the PDF issue is related, maybe it's a software conflict or glitch with the program you are using for PDF support.

7. Alex Ethridge

Really?!
    No kidding?
    If that were the (only) case, that doesn't explain why it won't print to paper.

I've been troubleshooting computers, building computers, servicing small networks and removing viruses since about 1994; but, this one is a new one for me.

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I'm only trying to help. I don't know if you are being sarcastic or don't believe me. But when I was looking at this yesterday at home, print to PDF is not an option in FireFox. The default "print" option was opening up the standard windows print popup. In any case, checking again this morning (different computer) using Chrome, and print to PDF is an option. So it obviously varies by browser.

Which isn't helpful, and I'm pretty sure we have both already concluded it's a Thunderbird issue.

Sorry that I couldn't help.

9. Alex Ethridge

Apologies.

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro version 9 and Bullzip (my favorite for printing to PDF) installed on this system. They are both listed as selectable printers when File> Print is clicked. They both work for any application that prints. I didn't know about Chrome's "Save as PDF" feature until you mentioned it here. I have Chrome installed but almost never use it.

Thanks for trying.

10. Alex Ethridge

Major clue: The problem seems to reside in Thunderbird's Profile folder (as opposed to anything concerning Windows per se or the Windows Registry).

I make daily backups of files changed or added to in the last two days of Thunderbird's profile folder and monthly full backups. I pulled the full backup of Thunderbird's January 1st Profile folder and put it in place of the current Thunderbird Profile folder.

Thunderbird now prints.

Now I need to figure out what files to delete/replace from the current profile folder and still be able to retain all sent and received messages.

I hope all of that makes sense.

11. Alex Ethridge

Solved: I won't get into the minutia of listing every step-by-step of how I finally narrowed it down to the final fix. I'll get to the step that worked.

First, I put the current Profile folder back to the condition where it did not print and confirmed it would not print. Then, I replaced the addons.json file in the current Profile folder with addons.json from a backup made on February 28th and it now prints.

Of note is that starting Thunderbird in safe mode (without add-ons) did not solve the failure-to-print problem. Since this seems to be an add-ons-related problem (addons.json), it seems strange to me that starting Thunderbird in safe mode should have produced a change.

My guess is I could have accomplished the same fix by deleting addons.json.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  12. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Very odd indeed. I would have expected Safe Mode to work as well.

Thanks for taking the time to report back the solution.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice