Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbird X VPN

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  throoper 
#1 ·
I am doing some tests with VPN and having some problems with Thunderbird. Thunderbird works fine with my yahoo emails (to download and to send) when I am not connected via VPN.
When I connect to the VPN, I can download the yahoo emails without problem, but when I try to send an email, a few seconds after clicking the "send" button, I receive an error message:
"Sending of the message failed. The message could not be sent because connecting to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.mail.yahoo.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing Outgoing server (SMTP) connections. Please verify that your Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again."
I use Windows 7 ultimate 64 bits. I probably need to do some configuration changes on Thunderbird each time I want to use it with VPN and configure it back when I not use the VPN, right? If yes, what must I change ?
Thanks for any advice.

#3 ·
I tried this, it not works, gives same error message. I also tried changing the authentication method from normal password to encrypted password, but same problem. I can download my emails to Thunderbird without problem, only to send emails it not wants to work with the vpn.

#4 ·
Only other thing I can suggest is to use the IP of the Yahoo SMTP server in place of it's hostname.
To walk you through it:
In TB, click Tools>Account Settings.
Left Pane of Account Settings, click Outgoing Server (SMTP)>select the yahoo server and click Edit.
Make the following changes.
Server Name: 188.125.69.59
Port: 587
Connection Security: STARTTLS
Authentication method: Normal Password

Click OK to save the changes.
In Account Settings, click your Yahoo account in the left pane and ensure you have the yahoo smtp server selected in the Outgoing Server section.

When you try sending a message the first time, you may get a security certificate warning since the above IP is the Dublin server and may not be in your version of TB. OK it and then enter your password when prompted and have TB remember it.

If that doesn't allow use of the smtp, the VPN your using may need to whitelist the server. Usually the main mail servers for the major webmails are already whitelisted, but yours may not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.