1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ticking motherboard - no video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by md64, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. md64

md64 Thread Starter

A friend has given me a PB Imedia asking if I can help fix his problem. It has onboard video but has an AGP card fitted too - dont know if PB did this or whether it was done afterwards. Friend uncontactable at moment so cant help either! The problem is that there is no video output from either the onboard or AGP video, and the motherboard makes a regular repeated ticking noise. Ive also fitted an old PCI graphics card I had laying around and again got no video output. I cant hear the hard drive booting into Windows and I think it might be stalling before it gets that far, but of course I cant see anything, not even the BIOS, to confirm that. The ticking is definitely from the board - Ive taken the hard drive out entirely and checked. Ive also removed the CMOS battery for ten minutes to see if it would clear itself. Im sure I remember a computer doing this once before but Im damned if I can remember how the problem got sorted!
    Any help gratefully received
    MD

2. md64

md64 Thread Starter

Forgot to mention - Ive also put in a hard drive with a complete fresh install of Windows on it in place of the original, with the same ticking and no video, just in case that helps at all! :confused:

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Ticking from a motherboard sounds very weird. Is there maybe a fan on the chipset or a built in speaker where the noise is coming from? Is the CPU fan working correctly?

Remove all cards and disconnect all drives from the motherboard. See if it will start up with just the onboard video.

How old is the PC? Maybe the cmos battery is dead? Is there a reset jumper for the BIOS?

4. Arcadion

Arcadion

I get machines in that make that ticking sound quite often, they have dead motherboards.

5. md64

md64 Thread Starter

Update - Ive had me ear inside the case(!) and the ticking seems to be coming from the built in speaker, so Im guessing it should be *beeping* instead. Ive put another CMOS battery in from another computer and still get the same noise.
    Dead board? Hope not, its got an AMD 900 and I wouldnt know whether or not I can still find a board that would accept that!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice