1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ticks and Crosses = 4s and 8s (word document)

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by stradam, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stradam

stradam Thread Starter

I have a word document on the server that has ticks and crosses on it. One PC that runs win xp with office 97 opens it up fine but another PC with Win XP and Office 2003 opens it but the ticks come out as 4s and the crosses come out as 8s!

I am thinking something to do with fonts?! I am probably wrong though!

Please help!

Cheers

2. WAJ0606

WAJ0606

I would think it has to do with compatability versus fonts. What happens if you change the font?

3. stradam

stradam Thread Starter

I have tried highlighting the 48 and changing the font but nothing happens unless I actually delete the 48 and type something in its place. Can't find a font that has ticks and crosses

4. WAJ0606

WAJ0606

Can you post the document or is it sensitive?

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

I tried making a file with symbols in it and saved it as a previous version (95, because 97 would have been an rtf) and when I reopened it, some of the symbols had lost their original appearance - most had been replaced by ?, however.
    I'm not sure what you mean by ticks (little bugs?) but if you mean checkmarks, use Wingdings.
    With Word open and the font set to Wingdings, hold down the Alt key and type in 61691 and hit enter to put in a X-looking cross. Do the same but type in 61692 for a check mark. Or you can go to insert, symbol, select Wingdings as your font, find the symbols you want and the assign them a hotkey.
    Save the file with a different name (e.g. filename version2) in your 2003 and you should not have any more problems (until you get 2007, but that's another issue)! :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice