1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Time Card Freeware?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by iluvtolaff, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iluvtolaff

iluvtolaff Thread Starter

Is there any free software available that I can download to keep track of my work hours? Just a simple program where I can input 'time in' and 'time out' and have it add up total hours worked for the day/week. I've been searching freeware sites for some time and I'm not coming up with anything.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How about a spreadsheet, that's how I track my consulting hours. It's trivial to create a sheet that will automatically add up the hours, and even categorize them by job.

3. iluvtolaff

Hmmm.....didn't think about that! I've done very little with spreadsheets. I assume this can be done with my WordPerfect? I'll have to look into that. Thank you.

4. JohnWill

Well, not really with WordPerfect, since that's a document editor. However, I think the WordPerfect suite comes with a spreadsheet.

If you don't have a spreadsheet, an excellent office suite that's free is OpenOffice, and it has an fine spreadsheet application.

5. stantley

stantley

If you have WordPerfect, then you have Corel products so you probably have Quattro Pro, which is the spreadsheet software you would want to use.

6. iluvtolaff

Jeez! I checked it out and fiddled around with it and it's all 'geek to me'!! I'll have to take the time to learn how to do a spreadsheet and I don't have the time right now or any time soon. I'll just keep searching for a freeware and try to do the other some other time. Thank you!

7. iluvtolaff

OK! I've got the spreadsheet going but the calculation is coming out wrong--I think. I'm entering my time in military time like they do at work. My formula is 'time out' (lunch) minus 'time in' (start time). Then 'time out' (end of day) minus 'time in' (back from lunch).
    (( in= 1056/out=1414. Total=358. in=1444/out=1920. Total=476. Then, 476 plus 358=834!!)) When actual time is 7 hours and 54 mintues. What did I do wrong?

8. JohnWill

I think you'd need to post the actual calculations. I just did this in Excel. The computation in the total column is: =(B2-A2)+(D2-C2)

When I change the start and end times, it all works for me.

Attached Files:

9. iluvtolaff

Ok--I put in the formula just like you said but my total comes up 0.3291667!!!! Huh??

10. JohnWill

I don't know how your spreadsheed deals with times, perhaps you need to specify the cells are in time format? Excel figured it out from the entry format, all I did was type them in. I did have to tell it the total was in 24 hour time format.

11. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

That is how we did our TimeSheets when I worked at Greatland. We had an Excel spreadsheet. I could send it to you if I can find it on my computer somewhere. But I think I just had it on my Thumbdrive and erased because I don't work there anymore.

12. iluvtolaff

Alright--YAY!!! I figured out the formula!! NOW! How do I copy/paste that formula to work in the TOTAL columns beneath the first one??????

13. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Usually when you copy and paste a formula in to an adjacent cell, it uses the Values of the cell you copied it into.

14. letchworth

letchworth

In OpenOffice I just highlight the portion I want to copy- drag down to highlight the number of rows I want the formula copied to- then goto Edit>Fill>Down.

The result is the number of rows of the formula adjusted by the spreadsheet to use the appropriate cells (rather than always referring to the original cells). Whether you want one row or 100 rows-- it's just that easy.

Congratulations on figuring out your first formula!
    letchworth

15. iluvtolaff

I finally got it. EXCEPT--in the last 'TOTAL' column, the totals don't come out right and I formatted it exactly the same as the other 2 'total' columns!! I'm going to try to attach it and see if anyone can figure it out! Crap! Upload of file failed!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice