1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Time/date is not stable...goes fast! daily!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by margelevy, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. margelevy

margelevy Thread Starter

My time date function is not stable and goes fast, about an hour a day. I have it set to update automatically AND I can and do manually reset it. But it is wild. I had the same problem on XP home and recently updated to xp pro and updated the whole thing with service pack 2. My computer is a fast emachine and is 3 months old.

Any advice?

2. barnnyardd

barnnyardd

i do not have the date problem but i had to just reset my time to daylight savings time eastern us. it changes by itself still trying to figure out why. running xp home

3. CoasterFreak

CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    Motherboard/CMOS battery is going. That's the only thing I can think of. You should get it changed by someone who knows what they are doing. I mean anyone can do it, but I wouldn't want you to accidently burn something out or anything.

4. margelevy

margelevy Thread Starter

It gets faster and this is a brand new computer, a fast emachine, that Gateway now owns. Good or bad? Who knows.

5. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Right click on the clock,then adjust date and time ,then click the internet time tab and sync it

6. CoasterFreak

CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    If the time is automatically changing itself, its the Mobo battery. It shouldn't just change for no reason. IF YOU KNOW HOW, check the time in the BIOS and see if that is off. If so, its the battery. Get it changed.

7. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    It is possible for the CMOS battery to be crappy (saw one at a major retailer once with some CMOS error), but it could also be some other problem.

I once experienced where the year was unstable when I upgraded from Windows ME to XP Pro. I'd set it to the correct year (2003 at the time), but within hours it'd be 2009, 2012 or 2017 (these were the 3 most popular values). The battery was great (it's still inside it now), but when I had to do a proper installation of XP (after a slight mishap on my behalf... :eek: ) the date was fine.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice